Nigerian Recipe: Jollof Rice

Background: Jollof rice is said to have originated from Gambia but has since spread to the whole of Africa, including Nigeria and Ghana

Background: Jollof rice is said to have originated from Gambia but has since spread to the whole of Africa, including Nigeria and Ghana. There are numerous variations of this rice but this specific recipe belongs to the Nigerian tribe, the Yoruba people. This rice can be served with beef or more commonly, chicken. It is one of the most popular dishes in Nigeria where is sold at various food chains and served as a main course at various functions. This a quick, easy to cook recipe for all students who want to turn their boring, plain rice into a spicy, tropical treat!

Ingredients:

2 400g tins of peeled tomatoes, canned

2 small scotch bonnet peppers

1 large onion, chopped

1 red pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, thinly chopped

3 cups easy cook, long grain rice

2 tbs all purpose seasoning (add more if desired)

2 Maggi cubes (knorr chicken or vegetable cubes could be used as an alternative)

1 cup water

2 heaped tbs of butter

2 tbs tomato puree

6 tbs vegetable oil

Method:

1. Heat a pan of oil, medium heat .Blend canned tomatoes, red pepper, scotch bonnet, garlic, and onions for 1 minute then pours into a hot pot of oil. It should sizzle when it hits the pan. Add puree to the red stew. Cover the pot with lid and leave for 5 minutes.
  2. Whilst the sauce cooks, wash the rice in cold water until the water is clear – which indicates it’s clean and ready to cook. Drain all the water from the rice and leave a side.
  3. Add herbs and seasonings to the red stew then lower the heat, slightly, and allow it to  simmer for another 5 minutes. Make sure you mix the sauce continuously during this process.
  4. Add the rice to the stew and mix until all the rice is covered in the red stew. Cover the pot with cling film then cover with the lid.
  5. Once the rice has softened (after approx 15 minutes) add butter and water. Stir until butter and water is fully dissolved.
  6. Leave to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Rice should be dry to moist and fluffy.

SHARE

Damilare Olugbode

2nd February 2011