Where are they Now? – Rick Moranis

You’ll no doubt recognize this decidedly geeky exterior, that is, if you happened to grow up watching such classics as Ghost Busters, Little Giants and Honey I Shrunk the Kids (p...

You’ll no doubt recognize this decidedly geeky exterior, that is, if you happened to grow up watching such classics as Ghost Busters, Little Giants and Honey I Shrunk the Kids (plus ensuing sequels), and let’s face it, you did didn’t you? Yep, in the late 80’s/early 90’s, Rick Moranis was Hollywood’s go 2 nerd and everybody’s favourite underdog.

But Rick gave us so much more than this. You’ll doubtless remember him in the Flintstones movie, not for any discernibly positive reason of course, but it’s one of those shockers the likes of Waterworld, Hook and Godzilla, which despite being absolutely atrocious, you mysteriously end up watching once every couple of years or so.

Rick also starred in the fantastic Broadway Musical turned movie adaptation: Little Shop of Horrors, where he played unlucky in love and misunderstood, yet largely loveable loser, Seymour, owner of a florist and possessor of a man eating mutant plant. If you haven’t seen Little Shop, this may sound a little kooky, and well, it is to be honest. But it’s seriously awesome fun and certainly worth your while purchasing for a watch or two as cheap as it is on such online retailers as Amazon – £3.97 people, which means they’re practically giving it away.

But arguably, Rick’s finest hour saw him take on the role of Darth Vader inspired super villain, Lord Dark Helmet, in Mel Brook’s stellar Star Wars spoof: Spaceballs, which is as insane as it is hilarious.

Unfortunately though, and this is where the picture gets a little bit somber, Rick rather sadly had to drop out of the Hollywood scene for family reasons. Having lost his wife to cancer, he felt his responsibility rested solely with his children, and thus, Rick decided to put all his efforts into being a dad, an admirable and selfless decision I think you’ll agree.

As of now, Rick has taken a mere six jobs since 1997, all voiceover jobs, his last having been in 2006’s Brother Bear sequel. With the new Ghostbusters movie confirmed, there was hope amongst many that Rick would reprise his role as buster wannabe Louis Tully. Sadly though, his name hasn’t yet popped up on any confirmed cast list. But we’re keeping our fingers crossed for a neat little cameo. Come on Rick, you owe it to yourself damn it!

SHARE

mclemens