Guild condemns ‘Birmingham Uni Confessions’

The Guild of Students has condemned the Facebook page ‘Birmingham Uni Confessions’, warning students to ‘consider the implications before contacting the new Facebook page

The Guild of Students has condemned the Facebook page ‘Birmingham Uni Confessions’, warning students to 'consider the implications before contacting the new Facebook page.'

The page invites students at the University to message in ‘confessions’ which the owner of the page will then post anonymously on the group. Previous ‘confessions’ have included content of an explicitly sexual or personal nature.

The Guild has warned that the anonymous comments on the page could be shared around, including in new tabloid newspaper, The Tab Birmingham.

A number of the early confessions on the UoB page are identical to those posted on other confessions pages and so their legitimacy could be called into question.
As of Thursday evening (18th October 2012), the page had 2,652 likes and 2,611 people were interacting with the page, which asks for any confessions that are ‘of a high quality banter’.

The Guild condemnation has noted the ‘offensive nature’ of some of the posts.

Numerous ‘Confessions’ pages have been created on Facebook for different universities. The Guild states in their condemnation that ‘a number of the early confessions on the UoB page are identical to those posted on other confessions pages and so their legitimacy could be called into question.’

The Women’s Association have also condemned the Facebook page after they deemed a post on the page to ‘pertain to an act of serious sexual assault’. The post was later removed.

The Association called for action from the Guild of Students and the University to investigate the individual who made the ‘confession’. The condemnation has been signed and supported by all of the sabbatical officers, some non-sabbatical officers and various other concerned parties.

The Guild advises anyone who has been affected by the issues raised on the page to contact the ARC.

SHARE

Kerrina Gray

21st October 2012 at 2:19 pm

ADVERT
ADVERT
ADVERT