Halloween muggings take place in Selly Oak

Just after issuing the ‘Darker Nights’ burglary prevention campaign, Birmingham police officers were called upon to deal with crime as most students enjoyed Halloween celebrations

Just after issuing the ‘Darker Nights’ burglary prevention campaign, Birmingham police officers were called upon to deal with crime as most students enjoyed Halloween celebrations.

During the night of 31st October a group of masked thieves stole phones and other valuable items from young people within Selly Oak.

The attacks occurred between 7pm and 8pm on Hubert Road, Heeley Road and nearby locations to these areas. A group of teenagers, all of whom were wearing scarves or masks, ambushed victims all in their late teens and early twenties as they were walking alone or were out with friends. Some were physically harmed during the incidents.

After receiving reports of incidents, a large number of local police officers arrived at the scenes of the muggings and apprehended the group, arresting seven teenagers for robbery who were taken into custody and questioned by detectives.

On 1st November Birmingham South Police released a statement saying:

Robbery remains a priority for police across the West Midlands, with Birmingham South in particular seeing significant reductions. Since April, there have been 118 fewer victims of robbery in the area compared to the same period of last year

However, the recent announcement that the crime prevention budget for Birmingham will be reduced to £626,000 for 2012-2013, down from the £1.25 million received last year, could potentially mean changes in these lower levels of robbery, suggested in recent crime statistics.

James Robertson, Vice President for Housing and Community, said:

The Guild is committed to working closely with our community partners, such as Birmingham South Local Policing Unit, to ensure student safety remains a top priority.

If anyone is concerned by the incidences reported, I ask that you contact our Advice & Representation Centre (the ARC).

SHARE

Beth Dawson

ADVERT
ADVERT
ADVERT