Halls of residence to change names

Written by Amy Hegarty The names of two first year halls, Hunter Court and The Beeches, have changed to ‘Liberty Court’ and ‘Liberty Gardens’ respectively, as of the 1st November

Written by Amy Hegarty

The names of two first year halls, Hunter Court and The Beeches, have changed to ‘Liberty Court’ and ‘Liberty Gardens’ respectively, as of the 1st November.

Both halls are owned by third party Liberty Living and the change is part of a wider rebranding of all the company’s accommodation throughout the country.

However RAs and residents of the two halls disapprove of the new plans. A petition by George Derbyshire, President of the Beeches, opposing the plan gained over fifty signatures on its first day. There are nearly 600 residents between both Hunter Court and The Beeches.

The Residents Associations were only told the news via email on the 30th October and it was relayed to residents via letters through their flats on the 31st, just one day before the change happened.

James Robertson, Vice-President for Housing and Community did not hear the news until it was posted on Facebook by one of the RAs. He told Redbrick:

Unfortunately, I have no further information to that sent to the Presidents of the affected Halls. However, I am not massively surprised by this decision as this has already happened in other parts of the country.

RAs have expressed concern that it will cause confusion, particularly with students getting taxis home after nights out. Furthermore it may disturb residents who have just begun to properly settle in to their new homes.

George Derbyshire, President of The Beeches, said:

We got the residents recently a load of purple merchandise all with The Beeches logo on, including hoodies, USBs, pens, mugs and wrist bands, as well as some short string bags. We spent nearly £3,600 in total for them all.

I think it is ridiculous and brings our halls further away from halls on the Vale and in Pritchatts Park, as the name Beeches matches with the likes of Maple and Elgar while Hunter Court matches with Tennis Court. I have started an online petition.

James Bowker, President of Hunter Court, said:

They’re changing the names, apparently having come into effect on the 1st November, RAs were given notice 3 days before this... I don’t get why they’re doing it halfway through the year.

Redbrick

ADVERT
ADVERT
ADVERT