Maison Martin Margiela for H&M

H&M have done it again

H&M have done it again. They’ve landed themselves a collaboration that turns stylish customers into designer sucking mosquitos. This time it’s with Belgian cult label, Maison Martin Margiela. Known for his avant-garde designs and with celebrity fans such as Sarah Jessica Parker, we are no longer talking about fast fashion.

In fact, this collection is the absolute opposite of fast fashion. All the items in both the men’s and the women’s collection are hand-picked for H&M from the 23-year-old Margiela archive. Inside each garment it tells you what year and which collection your piece comes from. However, this is not a vintage collection: Margiela’s silhouettes, colours and fabrics simply transcend fleeting trends and always look up to date.

Some were sceptical about the reception Margiela’s collection would receive when it hits stores on November 15, as he is a designer which has never even shown at London Fashion Week, Paris being the only suitably grand setting. Margiela certainly doesn’t do conventional, whereas H&M is loved for its penny-friendly, fast fashion, so what vows have these two houses made in order to make this fashion marriage work?

A progressive aspect of the Margiela collection is the boldness of the men’s pieces. As expected, Margiela has recreated the perfect classic winter look for the men but the cult label has also incorporated stand out pieces such as the jacket of belts (£199.99) to give the men’s collection a definitive Margiela aesthetic.

Belt jacket, £199.99

The women’s proportionally enormous collection is characteristically Margiela. However,The atypical proportions do not make the pieces unwearable. In fact all of this season’s must-have coats are thinking big, and there is no coat bigger or better than the black oversized pea coat (£179.99). Other stand out pieces from the women’s collection include the hitched-up red dress (£99.99) which is perfect for so many different occasions and the plexi wedge pumps in nude, black or red (£149.99), which make it look like you’re walking on air.

Oversized pea coat, £179.99

Hitched-up red dress, £99.99

Plexi nude wedge pumps, £149.99

Although the pieces are at the top end of most students’ budgets, it is worth investing in this majestic collaboration as pieces which were leaked from the launch in New York were selling on eBay the next day for more than twice their RRP; although it’s high street, it’s also high fashion. If you're not going to be one of the keen ones queuing at the door, you’ll probably be left with the dregs of the collection, which will no doubt include the hair lock necklaces (more creepy than chic).

The whole collection can be viewed on vogue.co.uk 

Featured image by Björn Jonas.

April Shacklock

ADVERT
ADVERT
ADVERT