Top Ten Things To Do When Your TV Doesn’t Work in a Blackout

So Tuesday’s blackout was a bit of a shocker, one minute I was stressing about my presentation (due for the next day), and then suddenly I was stressing about not being able to s...

So Tuesday’s blackout was a bit of a shocker, one minute I was stressing about my presentation (due for the next day), and then suddenly I was stressing about not being able to see; putting things slightly into perspective. After fumbling round for a phone light and finally managing to light some shockingly dim candles, my housemates and I then had the rather dull realisation that we actually couldn’t do anything. For the first hour we managed to entertain ourselves with embarrassing stories, the ones which start with “my friend…,” until we could continue no longer and therefore took to the streets to see what was going on, ironic in the dark. To combat this problem the TV team have come up with a Top Ten things to do without a TV, just in case a blackout strikes again.

10. Read a book (if emergency lights are strategically placed): Perhaps not one of the most interesting things to do if you’re not a bookworm, but reading is a great way to kill time and can be done by torchlight. Does potentially reading by candle not make it that bit cooler?

9. Write: With your laptop potentially out of action and no internet anyway you might have had a great idea for a story, or a poem. Just like reading, writing can be done by a strategically placed torch and old school pen and paper. Maybe start that diary that you always mean to write but never get round to doing.

8. Go for the typical, and somewhat, lazy option of using the time to catch up on sleep, a nap that can actually be justified.

7. Obligatory conversation of how awful life would be if we didn't have electricity.

6. Create a ’campfire’ type scene with candles and have a sing-a-long (guitar optional): Some may want to go further and actually start a real fire, possible potential for irritating the landlord.

5. Tell scary stories: Never a better time than in the enforced pitch black to retell or invent new scary stories, candles always add atmosphere to this.  Alternatively embarrassing stories, no one can really see you blush in candle light.

4. . Actually make the move to go and investigate what is happening by going outside and meeting your neighbours and potential new friends along the way. On Tuesday there were several people yelling “ it’s Derren Brown”…possibly a good conversation starter.

3. Play Hide and Seek, although the seeking part may be more difficult minus light, but aren’t things always more heightened in the dark. For the adventurous amongst you, this can even be taken to the street: apocalypse Hide and Seek.

2. Have sex: It’s dark and there is nothing else to do after you’ve done everything on this list, why not cram in some physical activity?

1. Start a rave: Loud music (only applicable if you have battery on phone/ipod), random people and glowsticks. Three simple ingredients to fill the void of no internet or light that makes the best use of the boring dark.

SHARE

Abbie Salter, Charlotte Goodwin & Russell Webb

ADVERT
ADVERT
ADVERT