The Best Christmas Food in Selly | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Best Christmas Food in Selly

Food Editor Phoebe Radford gives us the lowdown on where to find the best food in Selly this Christmas

So it’s Christmas and you really want to enjoy a cute (belated) Christmas dinner with your housemates, but none of you can cook, or your tiny galley kitchen makes cooking a roast nearly impossible. If this is the case, then it’s time to turn your back on the kitchen and head into Selly. Here’s a bitesize preview of all the Christmas dinners on offer in our beloved Selly Oak pubs.

The Goose

The Goose is in a giving mood this Christmas, offering a three course Christmas dinner for £11.99, or two courses for just £9.99. For starters, you can choose a tomato and cream soup, a prawn cocktail, or breaded camembert with a very festive cranberry dip. Star of the show is the roast turkey dinner, which comes with sage and onion stuffing, and a pig in blanket. All the main courses come with vegetables and crispy potatoes (maybe the budget price can’t stretch to roast potatoes?). If you’re pescetarian then you might opt for the ‘Cheesy Smoked Haddock Bake’, but if you are a vegetarian then your only main option is a Cheddar cheese, cream, and leek tart. Meat eaters who might not want the roast dinner option could instead go for the less-festive choices of a rump steak (for an extra £1.50) or the punny Bah Hum Burger, which is a beef patty topped with cheese, bacon, stuffing, a pig in blanket, cranberry sauce, and roast potatoes. For dessert there is obviously a Christmas Pudding, but also a baked vanilla cheesecake or a chocolate fudge cake. If this tempts you (more likely the price does) then you can book online at http://www.gooseovt.co.uk/.

The Bristol Pear

One of the best-loved pubs in Selly, the Bristol Pear has a three course Christmas menu priced at £12.45. The choices are very similar to those offered at The Goose. Starters include tomato soup, breaded Camembert, or chicken wings. For mains, there is the obligatory Turkey roast with all the trimmings and the vegetarian leek tart. The Bristol Pear go one better than The Goose with an additional vegetarian option, but this is a rather boring mushroom and halloumi burger. Admittedly, if you’re veggie and looking for something special for a Christmas dinner, you might have to travel further afield than Selly Oak. Alternative main courses are the boneless beef rib, or the Xxxmas burger, which is another festive themed burger with cheese, bacon and turkey. The festive twists continue in the pudding menu - the Christmas pudding sundae is the most obviously yuletide dessert.

If a set menu doesn’t take your fancy, then the Bristol Pear do sharing platters (seasonably named ‘Sleighs’). Sleigh One is £10.24, and has a variety of finger foods, like chicken wings, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls, and other nibbles. Sleighs Two and Three include all the items of the previous platters with added extras and will set you back £12.45 or £14.45 respectively.

The Country Girl

Less well known in Selly Oak, The Country Girl is on Raddlebarn Road, near the top of Heeley Road. They have a ‘Festive Fayre’ menu running from 28th November until 30th December, and priced at £13.49 for two courses, or £15.99 for three. The menu bears similarities to the other Christmas options in Selly Oak. For starters, you could choose from tomato soup, breaded mushrooms, pate, or smoked salmon and prawn salad. The centrepiece of their main menu is of course the Turkey roast. The other options are a steak, a Salmon fillet, and then a vegetable tart. Like both The Goose and the Bristol Pear, The Country Girl has created a Christmassy burger, but uniquely this is a chicken burger with brie, bacon, and cranberry sauce. For something sweet you can choose from Christmas Pudding, Salted Caramel Profiteroles, Vanilla panna cotta, or white chocolate and cherry cheesecake. If you do choose The Country Girl for your house Christmas meal, then definitely take advantage of their Fizz Club deal; get a bottle for £10 on Friday and Saturday from 5pm.

Michael Korcuska