Alumni Interview: Law | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Alumni Interview: Law

Careers Editor Molly Garfoot sat down with UoB Alumni Sandeep Kang, a Solicitor at Bevan Brittan LLP, to find out more about his career path, and life after The University of Birmingham.

What course did you do and what was your career path?

I studied Law and graduated in 2011. Whilst studying Law at the University of Birmingham I applied for several vacation schemes. One of which was at Bevan Brittan LLP. Following a two-week vacation scheme I was offered a training contract. I then studied the legal practice course at the College of Law in Birmingham. Following the LPC, I embarked upon a 2 year training contract before qualifying as a solicitor in 2014.

What did you do outside of your studies whilst at university to develop your employability?

I was a member of numerous societies at the University and volunteered at the ARC in the guild. The volunteering gave me the opportunity to develop some of the necessary skills to become a successful solicitor. I tried to develop my legal work experience by applying for placements and vacations schemes as well as attending talks and workshops delivered at the university and organised by the careers network.

'I would advise my younger self to have a balanced university experience...'

What does your role involve on an average day?

A lot of the work that I do is based around contracts. On an average day, I advise clients on the interpretation of existing contracts and assist with negotiating new contracts. I usually speak with the client about what they require and then provide some suitable drafting.

What's your favourite aspect of your job? And most challenging aspect?

The favourite aspect of my job is that I am constantly learning. I love being able to leave the office everyday knowing that I have learnt something new. The most challenging aspect of my job is managing client expectations.

What should current students do to improve their chances of success within law?

To improve your chances of success within the law, I would strongly advice students to be proactive about their future. I would recommend attending relevant career events, obtaining legal work experience and to talk to as many people about the profession, as possible.

If you could give yourself one piece of advice to your younger self, what would it be?

I would advise my younger self to remember to have a balanced University experience. It is important to not solely focus on exams and also take part in enrichment activities.

Chris Potter