Getting Your Foot in the Gaming Industry | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Getting Your Foot in the Gaming Industry

Our Gaming Editors outline some helpful hints for breaking into the gaming and e-sports industries, gathered from the careers fair at EGX

EGX 2016 wasn’t just about getting the chance to see and play some the industry’s biggest games before their regular release, but rather thanks to its careers fair, it also provided a valuable insight into the steps requires to get your foot in the door of the gaming industry. So without further ado, here are some of the top tips:

1. Don’t worry too much about your degree or field.
Gaming companies are more than just the developers or people that work on the game itself. If you’re passionate about gaming but lack the technical skills required to make the games you can always apply to handle business management, sales, community management, marketing etc. Gaming companies are so much larger than the people just making the games so don’t get dejected.

2. Customise your CV.
This may seem like a generic job hunting tip but there's a good reason for that. Games companies love when you’re genuinely enthusiastic about their games and want to contribute to a meaningful way to their development. An applicant who talks at length about their love of FPS’ in their application is unlikely to impress them a company who specialises in strategy games.  Know the company you’re applying to, who they are, how they started to give your interest a genuine edge.

3. Network, Network, Network.8941098081_e1ac60e5e5_b
Do everything you can to get involved in your area of interest. If you love RPG games and want to develop them full-time then find others who share the same passion you do and learn from each other. Make active use of social media including networks such as LinkedIn or Gamedev Map to find others both involved in and looking to enter the games industry.

4. Play them, enjoy them, Love them!
It should go without saying but it’s incredibly important when perusing a career in gaming or E-sports that you show a comprehensive knowledge of the genre and its major players. Do everything you can to follow the industry and its development, begin to create a portfolio to showcase this if you can.

5. Learn from your mistakes.
Again this can seem like generic advice but it’s vitally important to remember. If you decide to create your own game and it turns out terribly, it’s not a problem. Learn from your mistakes and adjust your process until you receive better results, games companies are much more likely to be interested in you when you can show you’ve taken an active interest and made efforts to improve your own abilities.

6. Don’t get dejected.
With gaming and E-sports never failing to increase in popularity everyone interested in pursuing these paths will no doubt face a lot of competition. Should you be rejected by a gaming company remember that no doesn’t mean no forever, keep trying and with enough passion and effort you should end up where you want to go. Focus on you and how you can improve your chance of being accepted.

7. Don’t be afraid to do something else.
The gaming industry can be entered from so many different paths beyond that off just applying straight to a company directly as soon as possible. Should you end up being repeatedly turned down, look for prospects with common themes or transferable skills and you should find greater success with these added skills and experience. 10297560543_5ef17cba81_z

8. Be humble.
Should you receive a response or even an interview with a gaming company make sure to leave the best impression. Telling a developer who's been working in games for a long time how their methods are wrong or outdated or providing any sort of uncreative criticism is unlikely to earn you the position. Be sure to be passionate and offer you own prospective on how the brand could improve and what would can bring to it to help it do so. This a common pitfall among graduates remember, no matter how much experience you have or how much you know after studying you can always learn more.

9. Be proactive.
You have probably gathered this already but this is incredibly important to successfully landing a job in gaming. Developers receive countless CVs, so take a look at the criteria outlined in the job description and provide a covering letter outlining how you meet these criteria, set yourself apart from the crowd.

E-Sports
With gaming becoming increasingly popular and more competitive the E-sports industry is growing alongside it. In fact as of this year E-sports actually has more dedicated followers than the NFL, proving the maturing industry to be sustainable and hinting at even greater success to come. E-sports is also an industry accessible from many different means and our tops tips are useful for finding a career within E-sports. Consider pursuing your passion for gaming through exploring its professional aspects and becoming a part of this exciting new industry!

Huge thanks to:
Mason Grove - Business Development, ESL
Nick Marshall - Games Marketing, Curve Digital
Luke Johnson – Recruitment, Creative Assembly

For providing the information and advice given from the industry perspective.

3rd Year Classics Student, Paper Editor for Redbrick Gaming. @RedbrickGames (@JLentschner)

wikimedia, Flickr and Redbrick