The Long Road Towards Equal Pay | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Long Road Towards Equal Pay

In the wake of Equal Pay Day on November 10th, Careers contributor Amber Allcock explores the causes and consequences of the Gender Pay Gap for men and women alike

Passionate advocates of equal pay for men and women recently joined arms, with leading figures such as English actress Gemma Arterton, who stole a different kind of limelight this week. Speaking up on social media, Arterton was attacked as she marked Equal Pay Day (10th November) by asking her female Instagram followers, who, according to The Guardian, are subject to receiving an average of 13.9% less than their male co-workers, to leave work early this week in an act of protest.

we-won-our-mind-the-pay-gap-campaign-the-law-will-be-changed-on-pay-transparency-and-you-our-brillia

In 2014 Arterton and her fellows marched at Westminster in their campaign for equal pay legislation.

The day marks the point where British women effectively stop earning for the rest of the year with a staggering 51 days to go due to ongoing dissimilarities in men and women’s pay. Backed by the Fawcett Society, a predominant UK charity campaigning for gender equality and women’s rights, the ultimate goal is to envision a society in which individuals can fulfil their potential regardless of their sex, and with that comes equal pay to reflect the value of women’s work as a mirrored contribution of their male counterparts.

It seems this gap won’t be closing for another 57 years according to the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) data, showing that gender wage differences are significantly prevalent.

This revelation comes after a reconsideration of the Equal Pay Act - passed forty years ago - which intended to ban gender favourable treatment between men and women in terms of payment and job opportunities.

There is still a lot more to be done to achieve full equality for working men and women alike
It’s no secret that the field of politics, court rooms, and further high paying jobs have been noted to be, quite literally, man-man, and thus male-dominated fields.

Whilst there have been developments in these areas leading to the wider empowerment of women achieving the same job opportunities as men, with the gender pay gap still looming it is obvious there is still a lot more to be done to achieve full equality for working men and women alike.

Mind the gap, don't fall for the trap.

To enhance figures, schemes are being developed in order to inspire women to achieve top roles through the encouragement of STEM subjects. The government is now also enforcing that employers must publish their gender pay and gender bonus gaps, whilst John Salt, TotalJobs director, encourages the notion that application and interview processes provide women with the perfect opportunity to negotiate benefit packages, inclusive of a fair salary. He further added: ‘I would urge all female candidates to aim high and feel confident in demanding the same figure as their male counterparts.’

Third year English Language & Literature student

Grazia Live and Make It Work Campaign