Olympic Length Disaster as 360 Gym Runs Out of Memberships | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Olympic Length Disaster as 360 Gym Runs Out of Memberships

Comment Writer Sam Yearley argues the lack of gym memberships for students on campus is unacceptable

From the start the new 360 Gym on campus has been a disappointment for the student body at UoB.

Like all things at UoB, it opened a LOT later than planned (nearly a whole year after the original July 2016 date) leaving many students forced to continue with the old facilities. Among other issues, the rundown Munrow Sports Centre did not have the capacity for all those who wanted a gym membership.

Now finally open, for all its newness and extravagance, it turns out that the £55 million investment has also failed to deal with the same issue of over subscription.

The 360 memberships were maxed out at the end of September, which has left many disgruntled students without the option to use the new facilities that they have been promised for so long.

The biggest issue with the lack of memberships for UoB students is that an overproportionate amount of ‘Community’ memberships have been granted, meaning that locals and students from other universities are now able to use the gym facilities that their tuition fees did not pay for.

It is shocking that so many students have been left unable to buy memberships, many of whom were influenced to join the university through the promise of this new investment.

I believe the appropriate process for university term time would be for UoB students and faculty staff to be granted memberships as a priority. Individuals outside the institution should only be given places that have not first been offered to those at UoB. It is shocking that so many students have been left unable to buy memberships, many of whom were influenced to join the university through the promise of this new investment. The fact that the university stands to make more money from a normal membership than a discounted student one highlights of how backward the university’s priorities are. Profit should not come before students and a better membership allocation is necessary in order to reflect this.

Another important thing to note is that memberships ran out very quickly after student loans came in, denying the students that had to wait for their maintenance money to drop before they could afford a membership. Meanwhile, those with enough money at the start of term to had the unfair ability to secure their membership without the help of a maintenance loan. Whilst I’m not trying to turn this article into a Marxist rant, it is an interesting point to consider.

Unfortunately, future student should try to ensure they buy their gym memberships early on at the start of the academic year

Of course, dealing with this issue is tricky since the university do not have control over when student loans come in, but this would be less of an issue if a better membership allocation policy was enacted in the first place.

Whilst, I see this being an issue at the start of each academic year, I doubt UoB will make the necessary changes. Unfortunately, future student should try to ensure they buy their gym memberships early on at the start of the academic year.

However, for those of you who are currently without membership for this year, I would recommend you look at Tiverton Gym located on Tiverton road. As a student, you are able to attend at certain times of the week for free.

And finally, to any Freshers, I apologise on behalf of the university, you will quickly become aware of the lack of space within many campus facilities.

(@YearleySam)