The Royal Engagement: The Biggest Disappointment Since The Bake Off Left The BBC | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Royal Engagement: The Biggest Disappointment Since The Bake Off Left The BBC

Comment Writer Sam Yearley expresses his disgust at the news that the Royal Wedding will not be accompanied by a Bank Holiday

After months of reports about their developing relationship, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are now formally engaged.

Around the nation, reactions varied from indifferent to giddy for the happy couple, but this blissful time was short lived. Just hours after the engagement was announced, Downing Street put out an official statement which darkened Britain: there was to be no bank holiday.

There are too many issues with this revelation to fully list, but I will go over the main points about why I’m furious and you should be too. First of all, it’s rude. It’s rude to Prince Harry, it’s rude to Meghan Markle, and most importantly it’s rude to us. The working people of Britain. Who just wanted one extra day off, maybe, with little sausage rolls being served on union jack paper plates.

Downing Street put out an official statement which darkened Britain: there was to be no bank holiday

We were promised an extra four bank holidays by Jeremy Corbyn and had to deal with that disappointment, this is just the Tories adding insult to injury. And do your best to make sure they don’t use the royal engagement/wedding to distract us from their horrible plans for the next few years (might want to take a look at their announcement to keep people’s benefits frozen for another 12 months).

Second issue: there is a precedent for this. Princess Anne was not the heir to the throne, she was behind her brothers just as Harry is behind Will. Yet when she got married, in 1973, do you know what everyone got? A bank -freaking- holiday. The Conservative Party had it well within their power to give us the day off, just like in 1973, but Theresa May took the opportunity to spit on us.

Another thing I want to point out is all the people and resources that are going to be demanded for this royal wedding. At the very least there will be hundreds of police lining the streets and accompanying the convoy of royal cars. This is going to be a huge public expense, and yet the tax payer will reap no benefit from it. And for all these poor police officers being put to work dealing crowds, there will be no overtime pay. It’s not a bank holiday, so they’ll get paid standard, and I find that disgusting.

The Conservative Party had it well within their power to give us the day off, just like in 1973, but Theresa May took the opportunity to spit on us

Let me tell you, the tax payer is supporting the royal family. We pay to allow them to appear in public, and we pay for the upkeep of their properties, and if anyone has told you different then they are wrong. I’ve never been the biggest fan of the royals, I have nothing against them in particular, but the drain they have on the public system is something I have always hated, and wanted to be rid of. And if we’re at the point where we’re bank rolling the royals, and not being given a national spectacle, then how can that be justified?

I, for one, would be happy to forsake the possibility of any future bank holidays for royal weddings if we were to tighten the tax payer purse strings. In a time of austerity and public cuts, money to the monarchy should have been the first thing to be cut. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have 100 union jack paper plates to return.

(@YearleySam)

2nd December 2017 at 9:00 am

1st December 2017 at 9:10 pm