The One Show: It May Never Get Cringier Than This | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The One Show: It May Never Get Cringier Than This

Theresa and Philip May on The One Show were off-putting and superficial, Phoebe Warneford-Thomson comments

I tuned into The One Show on Tuesday night with high hopes, reminiscent of David Cameron’s appearance on the show in 2011 when Matt Baker brazenly asked the unsuspecting PM ‘How on earth do you sleep at night?’ Pre-watershed TV at its finest. This time, Theresa May was appearing with her husband, Philip, so I was eager to see what cringe-worthy moments would ensue with a new PM sat on the sofa.

It was less than 10 seconds into Alex Jones' and Matt Baker’s interview with Mr and Mrs May before my eyes were rolling dangerously back into my head. Mr May says he gets to decide ‘when he takes the bins out, not if he takes the bins out’ to which Theresa replied that there are ‘girl jobs and boy jobs.’ In case you were wondering, taking the bins out is exclusively a male task, sorry gents! Leave the feminine tasks, like leading our country into the most important negotiations since WW2, to us girls.

I’m struggling to see the link between the decision to undertake a Westminster career and Theresa May’s signature leopard print court shoes

The conversation swiftly moved on to talk of Theresa May’s recent comments that she won’t be afraid to be a ‘bloody difficult woman’ within the Brexit negotiations. She’s not exactly a feminist icon, (based on her grim voting history in the Commons) but to give her some credit, it is worth respecting that she’s taken control of the harsh words a colleague once said about her and has turned them into a positive.

The show largely ran without a hitch, with a few cringe-worthy anecdotes from a robotic Theresa May. Most notably, an awkward tale about a conversation with a woman in a lift in the Commons about 5 years ago, where she told Theresa May that it was her shoes that got her into politics. My next-door neighbours probably heard me shriek ‘bullshit!’ at this point, as it reeks of a story rounded off by Conservative spin-doctors to support Theresa May’s rocky brand of faux-feminism.

I’m struggling to see the link between the decision to undertake a Westminster career and Theresa May’s signature leopard print court shoes. I think one might entirely be barking up the wrong tree, if shoes were the sole reason one was to get into politics.

(It) felt like some ludicrous All Star Mr. & Mrs. episode

By and large, the show was largely unpolitical, with a little chitchat about Article 50 and the snap election, and it appeared to be a not-so-stealthy attempt by the PM’s PR team to humanise her to the electorate. The conservation largely focused on the partnership between the couple, in what felt like some ludicrous All Star Mr. & Mrs. episode, with cringe-worthy questions like ‘Philip, did you fancy her instantly?’ and ‘Have you banned the red box from the bedroom?’

Overall, the show was a bit cringe, as the Mays squirmed in front of the camera guarded by their rehearsed anecdotes, and a desperate silent plea for us to please vote Conservative next month.

First year Political Science student, interested in travel and current affairs. (@phoebewt)

12th May 2017 at 11:28 am

BBC News