Snap General Election: A New Chance for Labour? | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Snap General Election: A New Chance for Labour?

Comment Writer Phoebe Warneford-Thomson argues that the snap general election in June could be the shake-up that the Labour party needs

Here we go, save the date for impending doom: June 8th! Despite May’s fervent claims of a fixed term parliament, I suppose we all knew the snap general election was coming. With the Labour party in shreds, the Lib Dems vanished off the face of the Earth and the extinction of UKIP, there would be hardly a better time for an election for May. I’m sure we’ll have the joy of watching ham-faced Tories celebrating a landslide victory. Hooray for democracy!

Upon hearing the news, I felt an odd sympathy for the Labour party. Having spent the last few years utterly shipwrecked after the Scotts jumped ship for the SNP, centrist voters swam over to the Conservatives and the insufferable Jeremy Corbyn took the helm, poor old Labour have been absolutely battered. Our final vice is that Ed Miliband is quite funny on Twitter nowadays.

May has given the opposition 51 days to get whipped into shape, but there’s general consensus that this won't happen. For Britons who do still hold some sentimentality for the NHS, the most disadvantaged in society, and our beloved European Union, the looming disaster of the snap election may bring some heartache. May is sure to gain an overwhelming majority and receive her mandate for a hard Brexit.

May has given the opposition 51 days to get whipped into shape, but there’s general consensus that this won't happen

Since becoming the leader of the Labour party, Jeremy Corbyn has divided opinion. But, there has been consensus that he was going to be absolutely slaughtered in an election, whenever it occurred. He has always been a rebel MP, and perhaps at times has been admired for being unwavering in his own political stance. However, is this the man who was destined to bring the Labour party back into power post-recession? Certainly not. A man who divides opinion to such an extent where there are rumours the party might split in two will never be the person to lead Labour to glory.

While June 8th may see the thinning of Labour MPs upon the opposition benches, and Jeremy Corbyn sat magnificently on the naughty step, it will be far better to experience this setback now than to wait until 2020 to have the Conservatives wipe the floor with the Labour party. Hopefully the crushing defeat in two months time will be a real turning point for Labour, and we’ll see the rising stars of the Labour Party, the likes of Jess Phillips, Chuka Umunna, or Lisa Nandy, step up and take the reins.

The creaky boat that is the Labour party is going up in flames, so we might as well dance on the burning deck.

First year Political Science student, interested in travel and current affairs. (@phoebewt)

Global Justice Now