GLI.TC/H BIRM | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

GLI.TC/H BIRM

Last Saturday, Birmingham was host to GLI

Last Saturday, Birmingham was host to GLI.TC/H, a physical and online one-day art event that celebrated “glitches” and technological failure. The event formedpart of a wider international festival that took place in Chicago, USand Amsterdam, NL.The day included workshops, lectures, video screenings andperformances from artists from more than a dozen countries. I caught up with Antonio Roberts, the master of disaster who made it happen.

Me: So, what is "glitch art"?

Antonio: Glitch art is making art out of analogue or digital errors. It can bemade using computers using techniques like attempting to open animage in a text editor or with physical objects, like opening up electronic toys andpoking around at its circuitry until you achieve odd and unexpectedresults.

Me: It sounds like you're celebrating technical failure.
Antonio: Indeed we are. We don't discard mistakes, we actively seek them out!

Me: Is glitching something that only geeks can truly appreciate?
Antonio: When it comes to glitch art, all you need is curiosity. When you startto do it, you may find it’s lots of fun and will achieve vivid
imagery that would be difficult, or nearly impossible, to achieve
using conventional methods and programs such as Photoshop. If you lookat popular culture, you'll find artists such as Dizzee Rascal, KanyeWest and Everything Everything using these techniques in their music
videos.

GLI.TC/H BIRM is part of The Garage presents… programme from VIVIDand is supported by the National Lottery through Arts Council Englandand Birmingham City University.

Article and Photography by Jonathan Melhuish

22nd November 2011 at 1:48 pm

22nd November 2011 at 1:51 pm