iBrum: Birmingham in Your Hand | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

iBrum: Birmingham in Your Hand

iBrum, a new Apple app designed by students at the University of Birmingham, maps Birmingham’s cultural landmarks and attractions in one place

iBrum, a new Apple app designed by students at the University of Birmingham, maps Birmingham’s cultural landmarks and attractions in one place. It has been designed by a team of twenty-two students and two lecturers, Dr Oliver Mason and Dr Jim Mussell, from the Department of English.
The app, which is due to launch on Apple’s App Store in a matter of weeks, allows the user to explore Birmingham. Using a database of places of interest, made by the students and
iBrum divided into categories, the user can select a place of cultural interest and find out more information about it.
Each cultural location has a map to help the user get there. The app also contains a brief history, key information, opening times and entrance prices (if applicable) of each location. It is designed for residents and students of Birmingham, who may not have fully sampled all the city has to offer, as well as tourists visiting for a limited time, giving them inspiration for days out.

Rebekah McDermott interviews Ashley Kirk about the app.

When is the launch of the app planned for?

The app is planned to be submitted to the App Store for 24th March 2013, and the team is planning on marketing the launch with social media, a website, leaflets and posters. It should then be launched a couple of weeks later.

Why did you choose to design such an app?

The specification was to design a user friendly app for the students, tourists and residents of Birmingham.

Is the app free?

It is free, yes. You will be able to download it from the Apple app store for all Apple devices.

Which types of locations are focused upon - i.e. art galleries, bars and restaurants, theatres?

The app maps arts venues, historical locations, restaurants, landmarks and attractions - i.e. The Bullring, The Ikon Gallery, Old Joe, mac, The Mailbox, St Paul’s Cathedral and Selly Oak Manor. Anything iconic in Birmingham is on it. It gives people who live in the city the opportunity to make the most out of where they’re living, especially students who may be new to the city.

Does the app provide information about events as well as location?

Event-wise, no. But by giving people about the information about the location people will be more likely to look up events. For example, the app gives website links which will allow users to find out further information.

Jim Mussell told Redbrick about the goals of the module. ‘Hacking the Book is an attempt to instil digital skills into the undergraduate curriculum. Given how important digital resources and media are - whether in education, the workplace, or society more broadly - we thought it was important that students had a chance to develop their skills and think critically about digital culture.'

21st March 2013 at 9:11 pm