Review: 'Chicago' at the New Alexandra Theatre | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: ‘Chicago’ at the New Alexandra Theatre

Culture editor Sophie Taylor is swept up into the glitz, glamour and grime of 'Chicago'

a spectacular rendition of a timeless musical classic

If you are after a spectacular rendition of a timeless musical classic, then look no further than the David Ian production of ‘Chicago’, which is currently touring the country.

Chicago explored cynical themes, such as corruption and scandal, by telling the real life tale of two young women on trial for the murder of their husbands in the 1920’s. The cast currently performing this production is indeed star-studded. It features the likes of Sophie Carmen-Jones playing Velma Kelly, Hayley Tamaddon playing Roxie Hart, John Partridge as Billy Flynn and Mica Paris portraying Matron ‘Mama’ Morton. I found myself particularly impressed by Sophie Carmen-Jones’ portrayal of Velma Kelly. Sophie Carmen-Jones managed to strike the perfect balance between being comedic and appropriately menacing, of a character that is typically performed over dramatically.

The impressive ensemble managed to ‘razzle and dazzle’ across the stage

The energetic show included all of the songs that feature in the original production and the hugely popular film. The production both began and ended on the much-loved classic of ‘All That Jazz’. Of course the costumes were alluring, but you would expect nothing less in such an extravagant performance! The impressive ensemble managed to ‘razzle and dazzle’ across the stage, and also by no means disappointed. I think that it is safe to say that many elements of this performance meet the standards of a West End Production!

I have not forgotten about the live band, which thanks to a practical well-designed set, were onstage throughout. They delivered nothing less than a stellar performance, filling the entire theatre with life.

a production not to be missed

The all glitz, all glamour and all singing and dancing performance of Chicago is running at Birmingham’s New Alexandra Theatre from Monday 12th December until Saturday 31st December 2016. It is certainly a production not to be missed, and what better way to enjoy the festive period and bring in the New Year!

Article by Sophie Taylor

Catherine Ashmore