EGX | Impressions: Middle Earth: Shadow of War | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

EGX | Impressions: Middle Earth: Shadow of War

A huge fan of its predecessor, Nick Burton sees an extremely exciting presentation for the upcoming 'Middle Earth: Shadow of War'

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor was my game of the year for 2014. So, it seems pretty appropriate for me to say that Middle Earth: Shadow of War looks to be in the running’s for my game of the year this year. Especially after seeing an impressively diverse, interesting, and humorous presentation provided by a developer and Q and A tester from Monolith.

The sequel appears to build on the strong foundations of the first game. Implementing the nemesis system once again, you will be hunting unique orc captains, warchiefs, and commanders, in order to reclaim the land of Mordor and the areas surrounding it. Using new abilities both as Talion and Celebrimbor, you’ll be slicing your way through giant forts with the assistance of your orc army you’ve converted to your cause. There seems to be enough new features and abilities to keep the game fresh and interesting, and the gameplay looked just as addictive, if not more, as the first instalment. Dominating fire-breathing drakes in order to crush a forts catapult defenses is nothing short of fulfilling a childhood fantasy.

Participating within the nemesis system means you can identify each orc captain’s strengths and weaknesses, and plan your attacks around these in order to take them down with the method that you see fit. Essentially it seems to be a bigger, better Shadow of Mordor. I couldn’t have hoped for a better outcome. One thing the presentation did not show was any story elements or characters. Considering the first games story was better than it had any right to be, this is definitely a factor gamers shouldn’t overlook when considering to purchase this game on release. The game looks stunning, and I’m sure will look even better with those of you who have PS4 Pro’s and Xbox One X’s when the time comes.

A lot of controversy has surrounded Shadow of War without a doubt. With a price-tag on DLC made in tribute to a developer who recently passed, and micro-transactions being available making players better at the game through purchasing loot chests, the game hasn’t had the best reception since its reveal earlier this year. I can’t say it gets a pass on these things just because it looks like a fantastic game. On the other hand, I will be purchasing this game soon after release, and I can’t wait to lose myself in Middle-Earth once more for weeks on end. I’ve been dying to decapitate orcs since I last played Shadow of Mordor, and it’s unlikely you should miss out on this title when it arrives October 10th later this year on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

A 3rd year Philosophy student at the University of Birmingham. Interested in giving honest opinions with others. Thinking and being passionate are my favourite hobbies, other than listening to Metallica. (@Nic_the_thinker)

3rd October 2017 at 9:00 am

Monolith Productions