E:Mission: Improving your Carbon ‘Forkprint’ | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

E:Mission: Improving your Carbon ‘Forkprint’

Life and Style's Josie Hart discusses how the app E:Mission can help change your lifestyle choices and reduce the carbon footprint in your meals

You only have to look at the reusable shopping bags and water bottles becoming absolute essentials and paper straws being adopted by many restaurants and chains, to see that we're undoubtedly beginning to recognise and take action in terms of saving the planet. But whilst these small changes can be enthusiastically assumed with little to no sacrifice, switching to a more sustainable diet can seem like a difficult and major step to take to reduce your carbon footprint. Especially as a student, checking every food item’s label on a library break supermarket dash or making drastic changes that may throw you off budget seems unrealistic. Plus, with all the information floating around informing us of how to have a more sustainable lifestyle, it can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to diet.

In fact, 10-50% of your carbon footprint can be attributed to diet. Whilst veganism or vegetarianism would spring to mind when thinking about how diet could be made more environmentally friendly, there’s more to it than cutting down on the meaty summer BBQs. Think about a recent shop. Whilst it would be desirable for the UK to have the tropical climates needed to grow many summer fruits, unfortunately, this isn’t a reality. As a result, a polluting trip across the world must be taken to put bananas or mangoes in your shopping basket. Similarly, in order to have berries or other seasonal produce all year round, conditions but be artificially kept constant using chemicals and energy intensive greenhouses. So what can be done to up our environmental merit through food choices and consumption?

10-50% of your carbon footprint can be attributed to diet

Becoming familiar with what produce is in season is definitely a worthwhile step to take. Whilst this may mean making a few changes to a usual shop, a few adaptations could make a major difference to the miles your food has had to travel to end up on your plate. Making a few switches to organic foods could also make a major difference. Also, buying frozen fruits and vegetables can reduce food waste and reduce the chemicals needed to help food survive the journey to its destination. To help you on your way towards a sustainable diet, E.Mission has been developed to take the hassle out of attempting a consciously environmentally friendly diet.

The app uses scientific, peer-reviewed research to track the carbon emissions of your diet so you can figure out which of your go-to meals are having the worst impact on the environment based on trusted information

E.Mission is an app, newly developed in Birmingham by environmental entrepreneurs as part of the UpRising environmental leadership programme.  The app uses scientific, peer-reviewed research to track the carbon emissions of your diet so you can figure out which of your go-to meals are having the worst impact on the environment based on trusted information. E.Mission can offer tips, recipes and shopping lists, all suited towards achieving a sustainable diet. Rewards are offered for progress made and you can even share your progress on the app on social media to compare your environmental efforts with friends. Essentially, it offers a way to achieve environmentally friendly shopping and eating habits, handed to you on a plate. With helpful premade recipes and shopping plans and a little encouragement with the rewards and tracking on the app, climate change can be tackled, one meal at a time.

3rd June 2018 at 9:00 am

E:Mission