Fable 4 in the Works? - Rumours from Eurogamer | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Fable 4 in the Works? – Rumours from Eurogamer

Fable fan Nick Burton gives us his opinion on the the rumoured Fable 4 in development at Playground Games

Rumours from Eurogamer sources have speculated that British studio Playground, famous for producing the Forza: Horizon series, is gearing up to develop a brand new Fable game. This, if true, is very exciting news ladies and gentlemen.

Being a huge fan of the first two Fable games, hearing this news was joy to my ears. Let us divulge now in some good old speculation as to when this game could arrive, why did Microsoft make this decision, and what sort of Fable game can we expect in a post-Witcher 3 world?

Fable

When will this game come out?

As the rumours and reports of this game being in development have only just surfaced, and as the team is recruiting open-world specialists from across the globe, I suspect that this game has been in development for only a few months. I hope that the game has been in development longer than this, but we shouldn’t get our hopes up too much for the time-being. We have so many great games like Red Dead Redemption 2 coming in 2018 that I think we’ll be more than satisfied with what’s on the horizon. If we’re hoping that Microsoft gives Playground the time and funding it needs to create this next Fable, then they should have at least 3-4 years of development to really make this game true to the source material whilst being able to hold its ground against the current RPGs of the gaming world.

Fable

The 2016 cancelled 'Fable Legends'

Why did Microsoft make this decision?

It is still perplexing to me that Microsoft shut down Lionhead studios. When you have all the talent in one studio, with all that passion, vision, and understanding of the Fable franchise, why shut it down to outsource the franchise to another developer? Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great another developer has a chance to expand the Fable universe, but why not just cancel Fable Legends, and let the Lionhead team create Fable 4 with the time and resources they require? Perhaps Microsoft were bleeding chips and they had no other choice. I’m just glad the Fable franchise is might still be alive, and even well.

What sort of Fable game will this be?

Will this be Fable 4, or will this be a reboot for the franchise? I think it would be best if Playground made this Fable 4, but it acted as a prequel. Perhaps even ‘Fable: The Something Something’. Having it as a prequel means you can create new stories in the Fable world we already love and include characters which we already adore. An alternative could be a Fable game set in-between Fable 1 and Fable 2. Anything that lives off the legacy of the first two games is a thumbs up from me. I don’t think a reboot would be the best move at the moment, since it would require a lot more innovation and creation from the Playground team. That, and I think there are still some stories to be told in the Fable legacy. Let’s explore the origin of Jack of Blades. Why did Theresa take the spire at the end of Fable 2? These questions have plagued my mind as a Fable fan for many years, and now we have the chance to answer them, and to look upon the world of Fable with a broader eye.

In terms of the actual gameplay, it’s got to have British humour (which won’t be a problem), great writing, fun gameplay (and include the combat from the first game), lots of content to compete with other games, and polish. The only game which felt like it had enough polish was the first Fable game. Let’s make sure this game mostly works unlike Fable 3 and some of Fable 2. I can see the team being tempted to create a Fable game which competes with the likes of Skyrim and the Witcher 3, but this is not the way to go in my opinion. Make it a concentrated open-world like Horizon: Zero Dawn. A large enough map, but dense with activities. If all goes to plan, this could easily be the best Fable game yet. Oh, and the music must be composed by Russel Shaw.

Fable

I give the team at Playground all the luck in the world, and they have my support. Let us pray that this game can show everybody why Fable is fantastic, and why it’s one of the best exclusives on the Xbox.

A 3rd year Philosophy student at the University of Birmingham. Interested in giving honest opinions with others. Thinking and being passionate are my favourite hobbies, other than listening to Metallica. (@Nic_the_thinker)

Gamespot, Behind the voice actors, Kotaku UK and Wikipedia