Film Editor's Top 10 Pick | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Film Editor’s Top 10 Pick

Matt Davis leaves Birmingham in a cloud of cinematic smoke 10 Swingers Swingers should be the archetypal comedy for all boys

Matt Davis leaves Birmingham in a cloud of cinematic smoke

10 Swingers

Swingers should be the archetypal comedy for all boys. Liman's production depicts a broken-hearted Mike (Favreau) running around the electric avenues of Los Angeles. Wise, male audiences will yelp with laughter and recognise the beauty of this film.

9 True Romance

Quentin Tarantino's entertainingly violent script portrays Clarence (Slater) falling in love with a prostitute. This movie is not only remarkably romantic but its genius is highlighted in the Sicillian scene with Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken.

8 Easy Rider

Two nonconformist bikers ride from Los Angeles to New Orleans in the most iconic road movie of all time. Featuring a selection of distinctive scenes that portray the highs and lows of life on the 1960s American road, this movie will engrave into cinematic history for its shocking and barbaric plot in the midst of psychological bliss.

7 Amores Perros

This Mexican production poignantly begins with a serious car crash which binds three people together. A story of hope and love emerge from a script riddled with horrific misfortune, which is encapsulated using skilful cinematography and acting. Amores Perros is intwined with truthfulness and compassion.

6 The Game

David Fincher's follow-up to Seven is an outstanding thriller depicting an illustrious Michael Douglas receiving a dark, bizarre birthday present. This film is rivetingly characterised by cinematic twists that keep the audience and the protagonist consistently flabbergasted.

5 Good Will Hunting

Good Will Hunting bestowed Matt Damon and Ben Afleck with cinematic admiration. Troubled youngster Will Hunting (Damon) is the mathematical genius who battles his demons in the face of a custodial sentence. A captivating story of good will performed by a cast with an abundance of energy.

4 Godfather

Godfather casted some of Hollywood's most talented entertainers. The classic gangster movie is a realistic insight into the patriarchal structure of the Italian-American mafia crime scene. Coppola's attention to detail and Scorcese's artistic innovation shine through in a production that produced a blueprint for all future gangster films.

3 The Deer Hunter

The Deer Hunter flaunts the capability of human acting in this psychological examination of the Vietnam war. Robert De Niro and Christopher Walken's method acting attained a chilling insight into the American psyche suffering from the aftermath of participation in the war.

2 Raging Bull

Raging Bull's brilliant black-and-white cameography seduce the audience to complete enthrallment. Scorcese's masterpiece sketches a character viciously heart-rending, and De Niro lurches the film forward with his rendition of human realism in an explosive punch.

1 Schindler's List

Spielberg's depiction of life in the notorious death camp Auschwitz is a movie haunted by the 6 million Jews who died during the holocaust. Originally a controversial move to pitch a blond Nazi (Fiennes) as the lead, but Speilberg produces a film that captures the true essence of human depravity in its most brutal form.

18th June 2011 at 1:43 pm

16th June 2011 at 2:02 pm