Weekly Review: Trailer Round-Up | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Weekly Review: Trailer Round-Up

Redbrick Film takes a look at some of the most talked about trailer releases to hit our screens.

Bastille Day

Idris Elba’s back to remind you he’s the king of cool. But now he’s messing shit up in Paris, not London. All the usual suspects are here: dingy bars and warehouses, explosions and gunfights, car chases and parkour. Releasing in April this year, this looks like a reasonably competent take on the police action genre. The writer, Andrew Baldwin, is new; this being his first film, but the director was responsible for The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliffe. On the whole this isn’t exactly remarkable from the first look. Will this make waves and do something original? Seems unlikely. The structure of the trailer is completely standard; they always want to get a laugh in at the end.

Emma Watson does whatever films she wants, and they invariable end up being artsy with no mass appeal, but this looks like a far more attractive film than any of her other films post-HP. Daniel Brühl, best known as Niki Lauda in Rush, has proved he can act and his presence is a big draw here. The subject is fascinating, some of the imagery is gorgeous but whether this can become an interesting thriller and rise above being a crutched love-story is yet to be seen. Since this film is German, the production staff and all of the actors besides Brühl and Watson are unknown to me; plus, German isn’t exactly the nationality you jump to when you think foreign masterpiece cinema, like you do with Fellini or Bergman. However, Das Boot is a classic, and Metropolis all the way back in 1927 essentially defined Sci-Fi films, so perhaps it’s time to give German cinema a shot.

The Man Who Knew Infinity

When a biopic comes along, it needs to stand out from the crowd. The Theory of Everything gave its audience the unique catharsis of living with disability. Walk the Line delivered a powerful story of a broken man. Here Dev Patel, of Slumdog Millionaire fame, recreates Srinivasa Ramanujan, self-taught pure mathematician. The cast is strong, Jeremy Irons, of Lolita and The Lion King, is backed up by Stephen Fry and Toby Jones. But the thing is - this is a film. It is a movie, not a documentary. There has been this trend of late of making biopics instead of documentaries because you can put them into cinemas (not everything can be March of the Penguins). Why did this in particular need to be a film? If it was a documentary, then it could have been fully informative and kept under an hour. Why does learning about the life of a remarkable mathematician need to be a feature film? Oh, The Theory of Everything made $120 million, you say?

All above by James Moore

Set in a world much like our own, one ambitious koala hosts the world’s largest open auditions for an X-Factor style singing competition. Featuring a whole host of actors, from Matthew McConaughey to Reese Witherspoon, to Seth McFarlane, and featuring over 85 songs, this is set to be a film that has everything short of the kitchen sink.  Sing is the latest animated production from Illumination Entertainment, the animation studio that brought us the Despicable Me franchise, The Lorax and this year's The Secret Life of Pets. They have ambitiously handed both the writing and directing reins over to first time animation director Garth Jennings, who is better known for The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Son of Rambow.  After the success of their previous five releases, two of which are ranked among the top 5 highest-grossing animated films of all-time, Illumination has a lot riding on both of this year’s minion-less original films. Will animation novice Jennings deliver the studio success for Christmas?

Roshni Patel

3rd March 2016 at 11:04 pm

Colonia Official Website