Weekly Round-Up: Trailer Reviews | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Weekly Round-Up: Trailer Reviews

Redbrick Film critics take a look at the wide variety of trailers released recently.

From French slow-burners to political thrillers, there's been a wide array of trailer releases that set up some of the year's potentially most interesting films.

A secretive trailer about the spy who released secret and confidential NSA documents - it didn't show us any footage, but instead was full of facts and exaggerations about Snowden’s journey from army footman to hunted whistle blower. With additional subtle, hidden messages, such as the upside down flag of his nation, to which the U.S. Flag Code states that “should never be displayed with union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property." Many call him a hero, some call him a traitor, and how director Oliver Stone has decided to portray him is anyone’s guess. Starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as the titular character and supported by Shailene Woodley, Melissa Leo, Zachary Quinto, Tom Wilkinson, Timothy Olyphant and Nicolas Cage, this is sure to be an eye opening biopic into the man who ripped the lid off privacy and surveillance.

Roshni Patel

Louder Than Bombs

Sometimes it is the smallest film that has the greatest impact. Louder Than Bombs, while sporting an explosive title, looks to be an intimate portrayal of loss and grief, as a father and two sons struggle to reconnect after the death of the mother from a few years earlier. Jesse Eisenberg, who stars as the now adult son, Jonah, is one of my favourite actors working today simply because you can never predict his next move. He can go from small indie dramas such as this one, to comedy, to animation, to big action blockbuster - and he slides into all with relative ease. A few of the hyper-stylised visuals may put some viewers off, but with the trailer setting up a plot surrounding difference between stories and reality, I think it could be pulled off with more tact than just an impressive shot. This is one indie film I will not be missing this year.

Alex McDonald

Valley of Love

In a bizarre self-parodying wild-goose-chase, two giants of French cinema, Gérard Depardieu (The Man in the Iron Mask and Cyrano de Bergerac) and Isabelle Huppert, play themselves as a couple looking for their lost son. This released in France and the UK last year, but now is looking at a US release in March. The script seems charming and the dialogue delightful between the veteran pair who are completely at ease with one another. Standing out in the trailer is the cinematography on offer. I can’t help but feel they chose Death Valley as a location to exploit its gorgeous vistas, which is fine by my standards. Perhaps not for everyone, but this does look like it’ll pull its weight in pure visuals in an age where it seems to surprise with your cinematography, you need CGI and a massive budget.

James Moore

21st December 2017 at 1:17 am