Five TV Programmes That Probably Need to End | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Five TV Programmes That Probably Need to End

TV Critic Tamsin Hackett gives her views on shows that have gone on for too long.

Some programmes such as Eastenders and I’m a Celebrity Get me Out of Here are still able to keep viewers entertained after all these years. However some of our other favourite shows, despite our love for them, have debatably out stayed their welcome and viewers are calling for them to end.

1. The Big Bang Theory

First up, is one of the most loved comedies on air but with the show entering its 9th season, the show is becoming one of the longest running sitcoms on our screens. The show is receiving more and more criticism over the 8th season and into the 9th as the jokes are reused and recycled. With the season focused on the marriage of Penny and Leonard the original premise for the show has changed, so perhaps its time to call it quits and let viewers just enjoy the reruns on E4.

'...the original premise for the show has changed, so perhaps its time to call it quits...'

1. Homeland

Another fantastic show, however many viewers think this showed died alongside the main character Nicholas Brody in season 3. The show was focused on Brody, his family and his affair with Carrie so it was difficult to imagine a Homeland without him, so maybe the show should have been cancelled then. However, season 4 was pretty good and season 5 is set for some big changes so the jury is still out on this one.

11825191_1049533471733889_69020874240993734_n

1. Pretty Little Liars

As a lover of the show, even I think there are only so many times the identity of ‘A’ can be revealed. Let’s be honest, the writers and producers have stretched this show as far as possible, and after eventually reaching a climactic end and revealing the villain’s identity they have still managed to make another season! Even though fans have loyally followed this show I think the general consensus is that its run its course and we deserve an end filled with answers!

'...the general consensus is that its run its course and we deserve an end filled with answers!'

1. Family Guy

Possibly a controversial choice, however, since the killing off Brian debacle I’m just not sure the show has been the same. Even Seth MacFarlane the shows creator keeps saying he thinks the show should have ended years ago after its 7th season. So maybe this show is over the hill and should consider coming to a dignified end.

394874_10150593775632674_962690166_n

1. TFI Friday

Originally aired in 1996-2000 as a very successful Friday night comedy/talk show and was revived for the first time in 2005, this revival was unsuccessful and the show was quickly cancelled. A second revival has just started as original presenter Chris Evans recently returned to Channel 4 with the new 7th series of TFI Friday, however even with its great guests this series including Justin Bieber and U2 the show seems stuck in 1996 and should probably realise it might be time to put this one to rest.

23rd November 2015 at 1:55 pm

CBS, Fox Broadcasting Company and Showtime