Best Student Eats in Brum | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Best Student Eats in Brum

Redbrick Food gives a comprehensive look at all the best places to eat food across Birmingham

Food Favourites on Campus

You dream of being so organised that you’ll bring in a healthy packed lunch for those library days, but soon you’ll discover Go Central and your tupperware will be long forgotten at the back of the cupboard. Buying food on campus will be even more tempting if you’re on meal plan, although this is only available in certain food outlets.

University Centre

University Centre has a cafeteria style food outlet downstairs called ‘Go Central’, which serves a daily selection of hot meals. The food court upstairs offers a wide variety of food, from sandwiches and wraps, to salad bowls, soups and baked potatoes. Undoubtedly, the most popular option is the Mexican burrito bar, which is a subway-style setup where you choose your fillings. You can use meal plan in Go Central.

Library Cafe

Conveniently located and accepting meal plan, you can fuel your study sessions with a coffee, cake, or a selection of sandwiches, wraps, paninis and toasties. The Library cafe also serves soups and has a salad bar. If you’re an early riser, you could even enjoy your breakfast in the library with a bowl of porridge.

Costa

With three outlets of Costa on campus (University Centre, the Guild, Bramall), it is almost impossible to avoid treating yourself to coffee dates with your friends in between lectures. You can even use meal plan in Costa. If you’re without meal plan, perhaps you’ll get lucky and have a friend with meal plan money to burn at the end of the week, treating you to a latte and croissant.

It is almost impossible to avoid treating yourself to coffee dates

Subway

Everyone loves a subway! Especially if you spend any amount of time in the Guild. Anyone who is anyone in any society that meets regularly in the Guild will eat more subways than is good for them or their bank account. If you join redbrick, you can spend enough time in the office to justify your sub indulgence. You have to eat, right?

Street Kitchen

Newly opened, this eatery changes the menu every day and offers vegetarian and vegan options. Food is often globally inspired, meaning you can try something new and different.

Joe’s Bar

Most students become familiar with the guild through Fab, but visit during the day and Joe’s serves relatively standard bar food but at student friendly prices. The best options are the pizzas, nachos and the huge ice cream dessert, the University Challenge.

Food Favourites in Selly Oak

If you are new to Birmingham then the local, bustling student town of Selly Oak will not be familiar. As it is set on the doorstep of the University of Birmingham, the vast array of bars and restaurants that are aimed for students will cater for your dietary needs, budget and suit the cuisine you crave.

The S'Oak

This is arguably the most popular UoB student pub in Selly Oak. It is rarely a quiet night at The S'Oak. Like a typical British pub, The S'Oak serves burgers, fish and chips and has a weekly (and very popular) quiz night. One of the best things about this social student pub is the sharing platters they offer which are great for drinks with friends! The well priced chicken platter comes in at £6.99, but what is better is that they are half price after 3pm on a Thursday!

One of the best things about this social student pub is the sharing platters they offer

The Dilshad

As Birmingham is famous for the curry triangle and world class balti restaurants, right here in Selly Oak is the traditional curry house Dilshad. My favourite dish here is the salmon tikka speciality starter (£4.25), which is a generous portion. What’s best about the Dilshad is that you can bring in your own alcohol… YES, you read correctly you can bring in your own drink for your meal, UoB life doesn’t get much better than this!

Yakinori

Located on the same road as The S'oak, but offering entirely different cuisine, Yakinori is a bustling Japanese restaurant with a eat-in area and take-away. My personal favourite here is the chilli ramen (£11.50). This is a hot noodle soup filled with vegetables, chicken and a stock that is splashed with chilli to give it a heated taste. Although slightly more pricey, the vast menu that caters for vegetarians and vegans is made from the freshest ingredients and has an authentic Japanese feel. Yakinori also offers a reasonably priced £5 take out box at lunchtime if you need to eat on the go.

Food Favourites in Town

Boston Tea Party

Do you like brunching? Well at Boston Tea Party you can brunch all day! Result! Choose anything from avocado toast, homemade juices and cakes. Lunch options are also available such as salads, lamb koftas and pittas! It's rustic farmhouse chic feel makes it stand out from other popular chains and it's also well priced, usually between £5-£10. You can usually find it on Corporation Street, a 10 minute walk from New Street station, as well as branches in both Harborne and Edgbaston.

Digbeth Dining Club

Digbeth Dining Club is all things street food! Ranging from Greek Souvlaki, burgers, Mexican and Indian cuisine. There are also dessert stalls such as pancakes or doughnuts for an after dinner treat. Not only is the street food amazing, but the atmosphere is too. Set in Digbeth's Spotlight and Mama Roux venues, there are two bars with live DJ's, and it is always busy. Be sure to check this one out during term time, on Trinity Street in Digbeth every Friday and Saturday from 4pm till late. This is a special favourite with Redbrick food! Be sure to check this one out this term.

Digbeth Dining Club is a special favourite with Redbrick Food

The Warehouse Café

Birmingham’s award winning vegetarian restaurant. The cafe is very unique as it is set between the new and old Birmingham whereby the cafe is nestled in a converted warehouse. The menus are influenced by British seasonal fruits and vegetables and uses as much local produce as possible. The food is typical British comfort food, but all suited for the veggies amongst us! Often including burgers, curries and Mexican fare with a fruitful choice of coffee and tea and vegan desserts.

1st October 2017 at 9:00 am

madelbuono