Birmingham's Top 5 Coffee Shops | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Birmingham’s Top 5 Coffee Shops

Food Writer Antonia Miles checks out Birmingham's independent scene

One of my favourite things to do at the weekend is to explore Birmingham and everything it has to offer, including its wide array of independent coffee shops.

Yorks Bakery Cafe

Located along Colmore Row, Yorks is such a lovely little rustic café. The coffee is absolutely amazing and there are so many pastries and paninis to choose from, you’ll be stuck for choice. I love coming here; it’s definitely one of Birmingham’s hidden gems. I’ll certainly be visiting Yorks’ a lot during exam season for a coffee break.

Faculty Coffee

Faculty is Birmingham’s coffee classroom. It’s a unique experience, which aims to provide customers with great tasting coffee and to help them understand more about it. I love the industrial stripped back décor, with lots of exposed brick and pipework. There’s lots of new things to try here as well, including a Madagascan Hot Chocolate which I would highly recommend...

6/8 Kafé

6/8 is about a 10 minute walk from central town, located on Temple Row. It epitomises everything an independent coffee shop should be; the staff are friendly, the coffee is good quality and it has a really nice atmosphere.

Boston Tea Party

Channelling shabby chic vibes, Boston Tea Party is a foodie’s heaven. The coffee here is really good quality and there are always so many yummy cakes and pastries to choose from, which are really reasonably priced. Thankfully, we have been blessed with not one, but two BTP cafes which are local to us; one is in Harborne and the other is on Corporation Street in the City Centre.

Second Cup Coffee Company

Canadian company, Second Cup Coffee, is conveniently located near the Bull Ring by Victoria Square, which is perfect for a quick coffee break after a day of shopping. Second Cup serves coffees from around the world including my personal favourite, Sumatra Mandheling, which has a dark and rich flavour.

2nd Year Geography student. Interested in Politics, Current affairs, Lifestyle and Fashion! (@antoniawritesx)