Egg Week Cracked | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Egg Week Cracked

Food Editor Emma Chmabers has four recipes to try with eggs that are perfect for students

1 - Eggy Soldiers

You cannot beat this childhood treat. Simply add two eggs then cook over low heat, 4 to 5 minutes; drain. Slice off the tops and season with salt and pepper. Serve with toast strips.

2 - Smoked Salmon and Broccoli Fritatta

You will need:
-Broccoli
-Cooking oil
-3 large eggs
-Smoked salmon
-Dill
Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 3 mins or until just tender. Drain in a colander and rinse in cold water until cold. Drain.
Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan. Beat the eggs with seasoning. Add the broccoli to the pan and sauté for 2 mins. Pour over the eggs and cook for 3-4 mins or until the base has set.
Scatter the salmon and dill over the frittata and cook under a hot grill for 2 mins or until the top has set. Cut into wedges and serve with salad.

3 - French Toast

-3 large
-2 tbsp clear honey
-2 slices wholemeal bread
-Spray oil
-75g mixed berries
-Greek yogurt (full fat or low fat)
-A drizzle of honey
In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the honey. Add one of the slices of bread and turn it so that it soaks up the egg.
Heat a non-stick frying pan and add a spray of oil. Lift the slice of bread out the egg and add to pan, cook for 2 mins. Use a spatula to turn over the bread and cook for a further 2 mins and transfer to a plate. Repeat with the second slice.
To serve, cut the bread in half and top with the mixed berries, yogurt and honey.

4- Egg in a whole with tomato and feta

-1 large eggs
-1 thick slice of wholemeal bread
-1 chopped tomato
-25g cucumber, chopped
-½ red pepper, deseeded and chopped
-25g feta cheese, crumbled
-A squeeze of lemon
-Pinch of dried mint (optional)
Heat a non-stick frying pan. Toast the bread on one side in the hot pan. Transfer to a clean board and use a round cutter to press out a circle of bread - save to serve. Tip: cut round a glass if you don’t have a cutter.
Return the bread to the pan toasted side up, then carefully crack an egg into the hole and cook over a medium heat for 2 mins or until the egg has set. Cover the pan with a lid or upturned plate if the egg isn’t quite cooked after this time, the steam it creates sets the egg on top.
Meanwhile, in a bowl mix the tomato, cucumber, pepper and feta together with the lemon and mint if using, with a little ground black pepper.Use a spatula to lift the egg filled toast onto a plate with the circle of bread and scatter over the feta mix. Serve straight away.

An undergraduate student studying BA Geography at the University of Birmingham. Interested in topics such as Travel, food and life and style.