Mad About Mushrooms | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Mad About Mushrooms

Food Editor Phoebe Radford tells you how to get the best out of your mushrooms

Whether you like them stuffed, fried, or battered with garlic, the humble mushroom has rather impressive nutritional qualities.

Whilst very low in calories, fat and sodium, mushrooms are a good source of fibre and vitamins and minerals. B vitamins found in mushrooms are known to aid digestion and the nervous system, as well as helping the production of hormones.

The humble mushroom has rather impressive nutritional qualities

Mushrooms are also a great source of the mineral selenium, which acts as an antioxidant and helps to protect against cell damage that could possibly cause heart disease and some cancers. Most of us do not get enough potassium in our diets, but it’s an important mineral that helps to control blood pressure and maintain healthy function of nerves and muscles.

So mushrooms are good for you, and very tasty and easy to cook in many different ways. Here are a few easy ideas of how to eat your ‘shrooms.

Cheesy Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms:

What you need:

• Large Portobello mushrooms
  • Bread crumbs
  • Cheese (any type of cheese will be ok)
  • Oil
  • Garlic
  • Parsley

These mushrooms are very simple and easy to make. Take your mushrooms, remove the stem and then roast them in the oven at 180º for about 20 minutes, until they’re soft. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix bread crumbs, garlic, oil, parsley, and your cheese. You can get creative and add in more ingredients, like peppers or tomatoes. You want the mixture to be a little sticky, but don’t add in too much oil. Spoon this mix into your roasted mushroom, and then bake until the stuffing has gone crispy.

Halloumi and Mushroom burgers:

What you need:

• Large Portobello mushrooms
  • Halloumi
  • Burger buns
  • Salad as garnish

Another easy recipe, but you could jazz these up to your own tastes, perhaps adding in some caramelised onions, some pickles, mustard, whatever you normally like in a burger. For the mushroom, simply roast your until they’re soft, which will probably be about 20 minutes at 180º. Slice your halloumi and fry off until sufficiently browned on both sides. Serve in a burger bun with salad and any sauces you fancy.