One Pot Chicken Roast | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

One Pot Chicken Roast

Claire Thirkettle shares her recipes for a One Pot Chicken Roast, an ideal meal for two

At university, away from family and home comforts, I have often felt that my weekends were lacking one crucial ingredient: a home-cooked Sunday roast. Unfortunately, many students do not have the necessary time, kitchen space or equipment for this classic family meal. Therefore, I am excited to share a newfound twist on the Sunday staple that is both delicious and doable. This simple one-pot chicken roast is extremely easy to make, involves minimal washing up, and cooks in just over an hour. It even includes its own gravy!

Serves – 2

Prep – 20 mins

Cook – 75 mins

Ingredients

• 2 medium potatoes, quartered
  • 2 carrots, cut into chunks on the diagonal
  • 1 leek, trimmed and chopped
  • 1 small parsnip, chopped
  • 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 chicken thighs
  • 2 pork sausages
  • Flour, for dusting
  • Handful fresh thyme leaves
  • Few rosemary stalks
  • 1 chicken stock pot, dissolved in 500ml boiling water
  • 4 tsp chicken gravy granules, dissolved in 300ml boiling water

Method

• Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
  • Add potatoes, carrots, leeks and parsnip to a roasting tin, season well with salt and pepper and toss with half the olive oil to coat.
  • Season chicken thighs and toss with the remaining olive oil, then nestle in with the vegetables.
  • Squeeze the sausage meat out of the skins and into a bowl. Then with lightly floured hands, form into small balls. Tuck these in and around the chicken and veg. Sprinkle over the thyme leaves and rosemary.
  • Cook in the oven for 45 – 60 minutes, then add the chicken stock and gravy and cook for a further 15 minutes.
  • Finally, remove from the oven. The chicken should be cooked through and the potatoes and veg tender. Serve, and enjoy!

21st October 2017 at 9:00 am