Raspberry and White Chocolate Cake | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Raspberry and White Chocolate Cake

In honour of Cake Week, Food Editor Caitlin Dickinson offers up her recipe for a cheap student baking experience

It's Cake Week!

In the interests of making a cake when I came to university, I soon realised how unprepared I was. Without a cake tin, baking powder or sugar, when I wanted to make a cake I fell before the first hurdle. But, through clubbing our limited funds with my flatmates and using what we had, baking turned out to be a fun and inexpensive experience!

To save money, I still to this day have never bought a cake tin. This may seem strange when you intend on baking, but when you, and your flatmates most likely have about a million baking trays in a million sizes, who needs a cake tin? Use what you already have!

who needs a cake tin? use what you already have!

My guilty pleasure of the eclectic mix of cakes out there has to be raspberry and white chocolate. This resembles the one you will have tried at Costa on campus (if you happen to always crave a cake when you grab a coffee like me), and most likely wanted more.

Ingredients:

200g butter, chopped into cubes and at room temperature

100g white chocolate broken up (use the cheapest you can find)

4 large eggs

200g caster sugar

200g self-raising flour

175g raspberries, frozen are cheapest

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line and grease the tray thoroughly. Put the butter and chocolate in a heatproof mixing bowl, set over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt slowly. If you are impatient a microwave will work but the results are not as good.
  2. When the butter and chocolate have melted, remove from the heat and allow to cool for 1min. Then beat in the eggs and sugar with an electric whisk. Fold in flour and raspberries.
  3. Pour the mixture into tins and bake for 20-25min (until golden brown). Insert a skewer into the centre and hopefully it comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10mins before turning out onto a wire rack.

English Literature BA undergraduate and Redbrick food editor. (@caitlinabby)