Recipe: Taglia-tell Me More! | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Recipe: Taglia-tell Me More!

Food Editor Dean Mobbs shares his original recipe, for a deliciously indulgent and comforting creamy pasta sauce, that doesn’t break the bank.

Prepare for the most overtly novice pasta recipe you’ve ever read! I’m not much of an experimenter when it comes to food, so I thought I’d give you a quick overview of probably one of the nicest meals I’ve ever made (disclaimer: it’s really not that impressive – please hold all judgements).

As a fussy vegetarian, it’s extremely difficult to find a meal that is somewhat adventurous, and that I can still eat all of without having a bit of a meltdown - hence why it’s taken me so long to actually come up with something I can make, is relatively incorporative of a lot of ingredients, and also tastes damn fine if I do say so myself.

Literally every single thing can be bought at Aldi so don’t worry about those purse strings
If you like pasta, you’re in for a treat! When I found this particular recipe it didn’t have a name, so you can either give it one yourself or use mine: The Dean! I know, simple and yet equally as effective – plus, you’ll never forget it, or me! And as well as being particularly easy to make, it’s totally cheap – literally every single thing can be bought at Aldi so don’t worry about those purse strings.

Let’s jump in with our ingredients:

• 125ml Garlic and Herb soft cheese
  • 125ml milk
  • 250ml double cream
  • 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
  • Spring onions/regular onion (chopped)
  • Blue cheese (Stilton)
  • Fresh tagliatelle
  • Quorn chicken pieces (bacon for meat-eaters)
  • Butter
  • Black pepper

Now that we have all our ingredients (which should come to less than £10 - bargain), we can begin cooking the tagliatelle in salted boiling water for a few minutes until cooked. Be careful though, because I definitely overcooked mine for the first time; fresh pasta isn’t something I’m used to! Once cooked, add a knob of butter and some black pepper, and leave it to the side.

I couldn’t tell you why, but the sauce is my absolute favourite to make, because I actually feel like a chef, you know?
It’s time to begin the base, so get chopping those garlic cloves and onions! Whack them straight into a frying pan with oil (alongside your meat if using) and cook them all the way through.  Put them to the side, and get excited, because here comes the sauce!

I couldn’t tell you why, but the sauce is my absolute favourite to make, because I actually feel like a chef, you know? It’s just constant stirring, and the entire time I’m cooking it, I feel like if one tiny thing goes wrong then I am well within my rights to throw a massive fit and just drop the entire pan into the bin… Perks of being an actual chef! But anyway, reining my ego all the way back, let’s get you started on that sauce.

Am I the only one who has just realised why it’s called a SAUCEpan?
So, to begin, get your garlic and herb cream cheese and whack that into a saucepan with the milk (also, am I the only one who has just realised why it’s called a SAUCEpan?). Keep stirring these two together until the mixture has no more lumps in it from the cream cheese. Once you’re satisfied that you haven’t totally screwed that up (like I may or may not have the very first time), then it’s time to add in your double cream. I personally just pour it all straight in – we don’t have time to dribble it in here and there, just shove it in – and stir through constantly. Now, this is where it comes down to your own personal taste, because it’s time to add the blue cheese! Depending on how strong you want the sauce, just keep crumbling the cheese in until it tastes right for you and is heated all the way through! But you have been warned: the cheese is horrendously gross to the touch, and it isn’t a pleasant feeling to keep prodding and poking it – it is mould after all!

you’ve also given yourself something that you can’t normally make with blue cheese and a bit of fresh pasta – self-worth
Right chefs, I think we’re pretty much there! If you’ve tasted your sauce and it is absolutely perfecto, then its time for the finale – I always find it a much easier process to add the pasta to the sauce, not the other way around. So, if you’re following me all the way here, grab your pasta and meat from earlier and pop them into the saucepan with the sauce.

Well, I guess there’s nothing else to say except for “bon appétit"! Enjoy The Dean, I hope you found it fun to make, and let’s be honest here – you feel as accomplished as I did when I first made it. You know what that means; TWO IN ONE! Not only have you made a bang-up meal, but you’ve also given yourself something that you can’t normally make with blue cheese and a bit of fresh pasta – self-worth.

(@voguebxby)

Erren’s Kitchen