Review: Byron Burgers, New Street | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Byron Burgers, New Street

The Food Editors check out the new menu at Byron Burgers ahead of their student night on October 12th

If you love burgers, then Byron is the place to be on Thursday.

On 12th October, Byron Burgers on New Street is running a student night with a very friendly 50% discount on all food, all evening.

Redbrick Food and drink were lucky enough to go and check out Byron’s menu, so here are our highlights.

Phoebe went for the smoky burger, a succulent beef burger with cheddar, crispy bacon and onions, lettuce and pickles, and a smoky hot bbq sauce. The patty was tender, just the high quality you expect from a restaurant that prides itself on its ‘proper’ burgers.

The burgers come as they are, leaving you to choose from many side options. Phoebe and Caitlin both tried the unusual courgette fries. These were slices of courgette battered in a buttermilk coating. While interesting in their own right, we felt that a burger is better accompanied by a more classic chip option.

Caitlin went for the ‘Clucky’ burger. This had a tender fried chicken breast, that was coated in breadcrumbs and guacamole, a spicy sriracha mayonnaise, pickled red onions, gherkins and shredded lettuce. The burger was served on a brioche bun, with a pickle at the side. It tasted primarily spicy, but had undertones of sweetness from the onion which complemented each other perfectly.

Emma went for the bunless chicken burger, perfect if you want a slightly lighter option. The bunless burger was accompanied with everything you would expect to find in a ‘classic’ burger such as lettuce, tomatoes and gherkins. Alongside this burger i also ordered sweet potato fries which were so tasty, I would definitely recommend this. I found that Byron was really adaptable, especially if you have any food intolerances.

There are also some amazing drink choices on offer. Byron’s selection of craft beers would pair well with their burgers, but if you're after more of an American-diner style experience, then you might fancy a milkshake or even a hard shake, with either bourbon, Bailey's, or spiced rum.

Redbrick Food & Drink really enjoyed the indulgence of Byron, and although this would normally be a treat for students, with 50% off you can enjoy it guilt-free.