Review: Digbeth's Autumn Markets | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Digbeth’s Autumn Markets

Food Editor Phoebe Radford attends the seasonal Autumn Markets at Digbeth which was a lovely celebration of local food and drink

Birmingham Seasonal Markets host four markets a year with each passing season. The Autumn market was held 30th September at The Bond in Digbeth, and was a lovely celebration of local food, drink, and arts and crafts.

The Bond is perfect for an event like this, with a large covered courtyard where most of the food and drink was set up. In typical quirky Digbeth-style, the drinks were being served from bars in a converted double decker bus and a converted caravan. I opted for a caravan cocktail called the ‘Digbeth Garden’, which was a very refreshing blend of elderflower liqueur, vodka, apple juice, lime, and tonic water. The food stalls were under the covered courtyard, with many of Birmingham’s best loved street food vendors present. From Buddha Belly’s divine Thai curries to Habanero’s tacos to the Flying Cow’s award winning burgers, there was a lot of choice. After much deliberation, I chose the English Indian’s spiced twist on fish and chips. The flavour combinations work so well, particularly the minty mushy peas with the spicy chips. The courtyard backs onto the canals, and had the weather been better, it would have been lovely to sit by the water. It was, however, very rainy, but fortunately the cover of the courtyard proved adequate shelter.

The food stalls were under the covered courtyard, with many of Birmingham’s best loved street food vendors

The arts and crafts and artisan food stalls were indoors, which proved a welcome relief from the dreary weather. Highlights from the local food stalls included bakeries, with loaves of freshly baked bread and many variations of brownie, including a very tempting jammy dodger brownie. There were also locally produced preserves and sauces, many of which were available to try. The arts and crafts stalls had all sorts on offer, from posters and paintings, jewellery and clothing, and chopping boards made from salvaged wood. My favourite was a stall selling prints and jewellery of custard creams, perfect for a biscuit lover.

Birmingham’s seasonal markets will be back at the Bond on 2nd December, with their Winter Market.