Review: Frankfurt Christmas Market Drinks | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Frankfurt Christmas Market Drinks

Chris Burden samples some quintessential German Christmas drinks at the Frankfurt Christmas Market.

Christmas shopping in the Bullring takes it out of even the most battle-hardened shoppers, especially during the Frankfurt Christmas Market.  This yearly event brings over 4,000,000 visitors to Birmingham for the largest traditional German market outside of Germany and Austria. Luckily, they’ve brought some incredible traditional German drinks with them, perfect for blocking out the memories of fighting through the crowds on the CrossCity line to New Street.

These continental concoctions are available from several stands throughout the market, with the majority found at Victoria Square, conveniently located next to some post-drink snacks and desserts, which will certainly be needed to soak up the Christmas spirits that will be imbibed.

The Feuerzangebowle - literally the ‘fire-tongs bowl’ - is a staple of German Christmas

Unknown to most British customers, the Feuerzangebowle - literally the ‘fire-tongs bowl’ - is a staple of German Christmas, and it is available opposite the Council House. A loaf of rum-soaked sugar is suspended over a copper bowl of boiling wine, before burning rum is poured over it. Watch as boiling caramel falls into the wine and is ladled into ornamental mugs sporting an image of the council house. This powerful drink should not be underestimated!

There are also juice based alternatives for non-drinkers, such as spiced apple juice.

Glühwein aside - the perennial favourite of a Christmas market - there are many fruit wines to try. Himbeerwein and Kirschwein pack a high volume fruity punch, and will catch the uninitiated off-guard with their potency. There are also juice based alternatives for non-drinkers, such as spiced apple juice. Or go Dutch and indulge in an Advocaat punch, combining the delights of both custard and alcohol - what could go wrong?

The Frankfurt Christmas Market is open daily from 10am-9pm everyday until the 24th December 2017.

Final Year Modern Languages student and proud Wulfrunian.

Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market and Chris Burden