Review: Royal Watan | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Royal Watan

Lauren Vick takes a trip to the Royal Watan, one of the best curry-houses in Birmingham, and only a stone’s throw away from Selly Oak

Being only a short walk away for students currently living in Selly Oak, there is no excuse to not visit the Royal Watan Kashmiri Restaurant.

Regularly featuring as one of the best curry houses in Birmingham, the restaurant boasts excellent reviews from customers. Although initially sceptical that I was walking in to eat what may be the best curry of my life, I was quite happily proven wrong.

It rapidly became clear why so many customers had hailed this restaurant as the best curry house in Birmingham.

As a recent vegetarian I was almost certain that the menu would, like many other curry houses, have a limited range of suitable dishes. I again found myself being proven wrong; I struggled to choose from the wide variety of main courses, but ended up choosing the Balti Spinach and Mushroom dish.

It rapidly became clear why so many customers had hailed this restaurant as the best curry house in Birmingham. The curry was sublime! With reasonable prices, excellent customer service and naan’s so large they’re presented on a hook (to alleviate table space), the Royal Watan is without fault.

The restaurant itself is not licensed but they do encourage customers who would like to drink alcohol to bring their own beverages, which also helps in keeping costs down!

I would highly recommend this restaurant to any curry enthusiast

The restaurant has recently undergone a  refurbishment, and so far has received high praise for its new look and atmosphere. I haven’t yet returned to the restaurant since its refurbishment but am eagerly anticipating my next visit.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to any curry enthusiast, however, if a meal out isn’t your cup of tea they also provide a takeaway service which can be found on Just Eat. I cannot stress enough how delicious the food they serve here is!

A second year English Literature student

Food Birmingham