Review: Starbucks Christmas Blend 2017 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Starbucks Christmas Blend 2017

Tim Abington reviews the punchy-yet-pleasant Starbucks Christmas Blend for 2017.

Coffee and Christmas. For us snobbish coffee connoisseurs, it’s not the Christmas drinks with enough cream, sugar, and syrup that make it "less coffee, more coffee flavoured energy drink”, but the arrival of Christmas blends that mark the beginning of festivities. With the classic accompanying imagery of idyllic Christmas mornings, of course.

A ‘get-up-and-go’ blend, rather than one for a lazy Sunday afternoon

Starbucks recommends enjoying their 2017 Christmas Blend “with a slice of gingerbread after building the most perfect snowman” - this is wishful thinking. No Christmas morning is this calm, no matter how hard you attempt to blur out the chaos of relatives, turkey and sprouts.

Ignoring the cliché advertising, the Christmas Blend is actually rather nice for the winter months. Every roaster seems to insist that their Christmas products have that “distinct sweet, spicy taste” and Starbucks is no different. Whilst this blend’s flavour profile lacks anything that resembles spiciness, it does have a smashing aftertaste. The rich bitterness lingers pleasingly in the mouth, with an aroma that is distinctly Starbucks - strong, burnt, dark, and an all round rather nice festive fragrance.

The rich bitterness lingers pleasingly in the mouth, with an aroma that is distinctly Starbucks

In espresso or black, this blend is strong - possibly too strong for those that prefer their coffee to be subtle - and a ‘get-up-and-go’ blend, rather than one for a lazy Sunday afternoon. Yet with milk or cream this mix can offer a noticeable flavour difference that makes it great for adding a bit of festive variety to the americano or caffè latte.

If you’re really wishing for that idyllic Christmas, then by all means, enjoy that Christmas Blend with a slice of gingerbread and imagine you’re in des Alps. But otherwise, enjoy this rather pleasantly strong blend as you like - anything goes amidst the chaos of Christmas.

(@TimAbington)

Starbucks