Review: Wok Fresh | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: Wok Fresh

Having opened only a fortnight ago, Lauren Vick reports on Wok Fresh's continued initial success with lunch hour queues stretching beyond its doors

Situated in the University Centre, next to Costa Coffee, Wok Fresh is in an accessible location for many students and members of the public.

Upon joining the daunting queue at Friday lunch time, I was surprised to find that the wait wasn’t as long as expected. As I neared the entrance I was greeted by a wave of aromas coming from the kitchen that promised equally appetising food.

However, once inside, the poorly considered floor plan becomes obvious. Customers who were waiting to pay had to stand amongst those waiting to get food.

This, coupled with the poor sign posting of the different food stands, makes the lunch hour rush even more frantic. It seems as though this issue could be resolved with different areas being clearly sectioned off, something Wok Fresh could easily sort with time.

The prices of the food, as with most cafés and food courts based on campus, seem quite high for what you receive, but this should not be a reason to dissuade you. The enticing incentive of new food at Wok Fresh is what continues to bring people in droves.

In their main dishes, the selection of meat and fish was impressive and a popular choice amongst students. However, for the moment, the vegetarian options remain quite limited, and felt particularly underwhelming.

The prices of the food, as with most cafés and food courts based on campus, seem quite high for what you receive, but this should not be a reason to dissuade you

At the front of the queue I ordered noodle soup with prawns; whilst not a sensational dish, it was worth the wait in line, particularly with the range of sauces and condiments readily available for you.

Wok Fresh hosts a wide variety of fresh meals and is certainly a welcome addition to the university campus. The oriental food bar will become for many students, a lunchtime favourite but there is certainly room for improvement.

3rd December 2017 at 11:00 am

Lauren Vick