Top 5 Places to Splurge after Handing in your Dissertation | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Top 5 Places to Splurge after Handing in your Dissertation

Food Writer Sahar Jamfar helps us all out with her top 5 places to splurge after submitting your dissertation

Submitted your dissertation already? Here are the top 5 places to splurge

Congratulations to everyone who has already submitted their dissertation. For those who haven’t just yet, the end is very near. If you’re wondering how to celebrate and are ready to splash the cash, here are some places to look out for.

1. The Jekyll and Hyde

This quirky cocktail bar is perfect if you’re looking for something different and fun. The cocktail menu is extensive, so there is definitely something for everyone. It includes a Sticky Toffee Pudding cocktail and Eton Mess cocktail! Happy Hour is every day 4-7pm then 10pm-close.  The food is standard pub food including burgers and pies. However, on Saturdays, Mr Hyde’s Afternoon Tea is available which is recommended for a sophisticated weekend. The On Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, the gin parlour is open with a decadent Victorian theme. It’s definitely a place to visit if you enjoy a good cocktail or ten.

1. Bodega Cantina y Bar

If you’re handing in your dissertation on Thursday, this is the place to go and celebrate afterwards. “Thirsty Thursday” means that cocktails are 2 for 1 all day. With such an extensive menu including every single alcohol you can think of as well as a range of beers and wines, this is the perfect place to relax. The food is fresh South American comfort food, with an excellent selection of Mexican street food and small plates to share. If you’re ever looking for somewhere to go on a Thursday, this is the place.

1. Fumo

This new Italian restaurant has taken Birmingham by storm. I have managed to go twice already but that was clearly a stroke of luck because when I try to go nowadays, it’s always fully booked. They don’t take reservations unless it’s for a table of 6 or more people. Serving award-winning Italian tapas dishes and fantastic cocktails and wines, you can see why it’s so popular. The dish I recommend is gnocchi in a gorgonzola sauce, served on a parmesan basket. This is a great place to go for larger groups as you’re able to secure a reservation. However even if you’re in a smaller group and looking to celebrate at Fumo, it is definitely worth the wait.

1. The Alchemist

If you’re really ready to spend the dollar on cocktails, this is the place to go. There are so many categories to choose from such as fruity, seriously strong and creamy, so there is something for everyone. There are colour-changing cocktails and ones with smoke coming out of them, so if you’re looking for a cool place to celebrate with amazing food and drinks, this is the place to go. The food also has a great range, from gourmet burgers to Japanese dishes to tapas dishes. An alternative place with similar outlandish cocktails is Aluna but if you’re looking to eat and drink, then The Alchemist is for you.

1. The Lost and Found

To round things off, the cocktails here are very creative and some of them are only £5 on Monday to Friday 5-8pm. It has a great atmosphere and also a great range of food, including pub classics, afternoon tea and roast dinners on Sundays. Cocktails include Bakewell flavour and tea flavour with so many other fruity flavours to try.

Of course there are so many other places to include in this list, but if you want to celebrate in style, then these are the places to go.

Sahar's in her third and final year of Policy, Politics and Economics. In her spare time, she likes to cook, dance and watch Ru Paul's Drag Race. Her primary interests are feminism, gay rights and Iran. (@saharjamfar)

31st March 2017 at 3:11 pm