The Future of Travel: Bluesmart Suitcase | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Future of Travel: Bluesmart Suitcase

The smart-case is finally here, Redbrick's Ella Talbot investigates this new handy piece of luggage.

Your gadgets are here, here, here and here...

The future of travel has landed. And no, we aren’t on about a new jumbo jet complete with cinema, bowling alley and football pitch (maybe give it a few years), but the Swiss army knife of luggage that has just been produced by Bluesmart and is now on sale at Selfridges, Birmingham.

While most of us pack our suitcases with rolled up t-shirts and underwear stuffed into our shoes, it seems Bluesmart have been busy packing theirs with all the latest gadgets that any millennial could ever want.

While most students travel the globe to ‘find themselves’, this case is one step ahead of its owner with its ability to literally find itself through its own GPS...
We've all heard that story of the girl who lost her case on her flight to Barcelona and spent the week washing her pants in the sink and wearing cheap t-shirts she bought in the local markets. But such urban legends will be a thing of the past thanks to the new technology offered by this piece of kit. While most students travel the globe to ‘find themselves’, this case is one step ahead of its owner with its ability to literally find itself, through its own GPS location tracking system that syncs with an app (available on both iOS and Android smartphones) meaning that you’ll be able to track your case wherever it is in the world.

What’s more, this case weighs, tracks and locks itself meaning that (hopefully) you’ll avoid those sneaky excess baggage fees by knowing the weight of your case, and knowing if your weight allowance will afford you to shove in that second bottle of duty free vodka. This addition to the case helps to take the stress out of travelling.

Bluesmart

This smart case is undoubtedly the smartest way to travel. With two easily accessible USB ports, a laptop compartment and a battery that’s able to charge your phone, laptop or tablet up to six times, the Bluesmart will keep travellers connected to everything they need. Admittedly, I’d be questioning why you need your laptop charged six times while on holiday, but if you’ve left that dissertation to the last minute as you jet off to Zante for a week long bender, then this is the case for you. However, I think we could all admit that a case that can charge your phone at least six times is something we’d all happily carry around on a daily basis to overcome that first world problem of the iPhone that always seems ready to die.

Not only fitted with all the gizmos, this case meets even the most basic needs of any traveller...
Not only fitted with all the gizmos, this case meets even the most basic needs of any traveller with its hard carbonate shell, coupled with centreless wheels that make it lightweight, durable, and highly manoeuvrable.

The ingenious Bluesmart Carry-On case is the world's smartest case, described by the BBC as ‘The iPhone of luggage’, and named ‘Top Innovative Product’ by Forbes Magazine. Adam Hockney, general manager of Selfridges said ‘This clever piece of luggage is a must-have for any globetrotter and we are proud to be the first store in Birmingham to stock it’.

The Bluesmart Carry-On is available in Selfridges Birmingham now, costing £349.99, which may sound like a hefty price for this lightweight piece of kit, but is more than worth it to virtually have a robot guarding your luggage as you travel the globe!

Final year English Language students. Editor for Redbrick Careers

27th April 2016 at 11:55 am

29th April 2016 at 7:53 am

Maurizio Pesce