Most Anticipated Games of 2018 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Most Anticipated Games of 2018

The Redbrick Gaming team take you through the most anticipated games of 2018

Red Dead Redemption 2

Red Dead Redemption 2 has got a lot to live up to. Its predecessor was a masterpiece, which managed to weave all the charm and grittiness of Sergio Leone’s spaghetti westerns into a living open world and captivating narrative. The third game in the Red Dead series will act as a prequel to this epic, telling the story of the van der Linde gang and one of its members: Arthur Morgan. From a leaked image this tale appears to be set to the north-east of Red Dead Redemption’s map, and will include new environments as well as some which will be more familiar. Fans of the series should also expect a more extensive multiplayer mode which will draw heavily on the success that Rockstar have had with GTA Online. It's likely that the current delay for the game stems from Rockstar making sure the online is ready to go for millions of people to play from launch day. One thing’s for sure: if this game’s even half as good as the 2010 release of Red Dead Redemption, it will still be absolutely fantastic. Due for release in the Spring, this is a game not to be missed.

George Hopkins

Read more about Read Dead Redemption 2 here

Spider-Man

Look out! Here comes the Spider-Man. With the upcoming 2018 release of Insomniac Games’ Spider-Man, Sony look set to continue their winning streak when it comes to PS4 exclusives and Spider-Man finally looks set to join Batman in the halls of Gaming Greatness (no, I’m not including Spider-Man on PS2). Set in the graphically gorgeous New York City, Spider-Man offers an original story that sees our favourite web-slinger (sorry Spider-Gwen) up against a new threat, the Inner Demons; a gang with super spooky powers. Combining high-octane set pieces; the action-packed, rewarding combat of the Arkham series; and the fast-paced and fluid movement that made Sunset Overdrive so much fun, Spider-Man is setting itself up for greatness. While we have only seen a few trailers so far (and there has been some criticism of the inclusion of quick time events), everything we’ve seen indicates that Spider-Man is going to be fantastically fun when it launches on PS4 later this year and, if you don't pick up a copy, you'll be Green (Goblin) with envy for missing out on all the Carnage.

Jack Cooper

The Wolf Among Us: Season 2

Point-and-click adventures are back, baby. Telltale have led the resurgence of adventure games over the last few years with The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, and five years after the original series we finally get to see more of Bigby Wolf in gameplay form. I love the world, inspired by the Fable comics, as it tiptoes the line between whimsical nostalgia and cynical darkness. If you’ve ever played a Telltale adventure before, you’ll know what to expect gameplay-wise. The original Wolf Among Us characters just oozed individuality due to some impressive voice acting, and the publisher’s staple of branching narrative paths, which continues to make each player’s experience that little bit unique. Hopefully this game can deliver the storytelling we’ve come to love through their many series, allowing The Wolf Among Us: Season 2 to make the most of its beautiful, fantastical world. Due to be released sometime in 2018, this is a game to look out for if you enjoyed the first season or in fact any of the Telltale games.

James Law

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a new role play game by relative unknown Warhorse Studios, arises to do battle on the 13th of February. Built in the technically marvellous CryEngine, the world already looks desperately gorgeous with pixel-perfect realism and plays as a detailed simulation of medieval warfare, building an epic, but still wholly real story amongst the ruins of war-torn Bohemia. Complete with solid craft-em-up armour and weapons, a slow but brutally weighty combat system and a persistent universe that rewards your patient investment, but will carry on without you, Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks like the kind of game to keep history nerds and fans of great RPG’s (like The Witcher or ) satisfied for the next decade. If you can stomach the idea that the only magic around will be the devilry you deal out on the battlefield, this game looks like it could be an early game of the year contender, and I, for one, can’t wait.

James Honke

Metro: Exodus

Metro Exodus, Anticipated

Metro: Exodus is the upcoming third instalment in a franchise which centres on the struggle for survival in post-nuclear Russia. From what we have seen so far, Exodus will seek to use the extra firepower of the current generation to tell the story of the gradual recession of the nuclear winter. This means that we will be able to venture further beyond the tunnels under Moscow than ever before, witnessing the scale of destruction and perhaps even the beginnings of new life. From the promotional material released so far it seems that this will allow for more intelligent enemies, dynamic weather and greater weapon customisation. Let’s hope that this greater scope does not detract from what made the series so special in the first place: the sense of trepidation and hopelessness, caused by its expertly crafted environments and excellent pacing. Although the previous games weren’t exceptional commercially or critically, this instalment looks to be the best yet. If the action and horror elements alongside the storytelling are put together with love and care, this could be a very special game indeed.

George Hopkins

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Ni No Kuni 2, Anticipated

Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom is set to release in March of 2018, though be warned: this might change considering it has already been delayed several times. It promises incredible graphics, exploration and battle-focused gameplay and a world full of interesting characters. Based around a story about a boy-king of a cat tribe who must fight to win his kingdom back, this game will certainly be like being dropped into the middle of a Studio Ghibli film and given your own adventure to conquer, although think more Spirited Away than Princess Mononoke. Do not worry if you have not played the first instalment of the game, because this one is set hundreds of years after the first and with its own vast missions and objectives, where any references to the previous story will fade into the background of the well built fantasy world. Although I have my reservations of whether the lack of Studio Ghibli direct hand in world creation, like they did the first, might ruin it, I have high hopes for such an individual game. So prepare yourself for a vast, exciting RPG adventure like nothing you have ever experienced before.

Imogen Mellor

Kingdom Hearts III

Kingdom Hearts 3, Anticipated

Thirteen years in the making, 2018 is finally the (tentative) release date for the much-anticipated Kingdom Hearts III. A franchise I have grown up with, the new adventures of Sora, Donald and Goofy were teased in 2017’s Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (I am not in any way defending the asinine titles of the series by the way) where we were introduced to the ground-breaking mechanics, gorgeous graphics, and outstanding atmosphere we could expect from the next title. With new worlds like Corona from Tangled, Andy’s House from Toy Story, and San Fransokyo from Big Hero Six, there is a wealth of potential in my most anticipated title of 2018. I cannot wait to experience every second of it.

Sam Nason

God of War

god of war, Anticipated

Whereas the original God of War games were full of colossal action pieces, this reboot seems to be a carefully crafted action-fantasy game about family. Kratos is no longer an un-relatable man who constantly shouts. He is a conflicted old God who is protecting his son against the many [Norse-mythological] dangers found throughout this gorgeous but lethal land. A much more close-and-personal combat approach, with great acting along the way, Kratos’ new adventure I think will be one of the best games of 2018 without a doubt. Do not miss this title scheduled for early 2018.  Hints of loose RPG elements such as side quests, discovering new enemies and characters within the beautiful landscape, and promises of a long but memorable adventure makes me think this game will both be on an epic but personal scale. I can’t wait to see how they mix and contrast the two.

Nicholas Burton

Read Nicholas' full impressions here

Detroit: Become Human

Editors Note - Redbrick Gaming team here. We are aware of the allegations made to the studio behind the creation of Detroit: Become Human, Quantic Dream. We do not, and never will condone this type of behaviour if the allegations turn out to be true. We wanted to include Detroit: Become Human on our most anticipated games list for 2018 because 1) the game looks very good on a product and artistic level, and 2) we did not want the work of the developers who have worked day and night for the past four years to not be on our radar, as there will be developers in the studio who have not participated in this behaviour, if this behaviour has actually been happening. - Nick Burton

Hooked from the first trailer, I knew Detroit: Become Human was a game I needed to buy in 2018, with my demo experience at EGX last year sealing the deal. While we’ve only really been introduced to the first chapter of the story, through one of the playable androids, Connor, we have seen interesting footage of the other 2 playable characters, Kara and Marcus, who both have very unique storylines.  Despite the recent backlash over some of the trailers released, I’m still excited for Detroit: Become Human, because as David Cage suggests, I’m eager to experience the game for myself and see the scenes in context, to find out if it really is as tone-deaf as some critics would like you to believe.

Roshni Patel

IGDB, Eurogamer, FablesWiki, Sony and