EGX | Hands On: Assassin's Creed: Origins | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

EGX | Hands On: Assassin’s Creed: Origins

Gaming Editor Nick Burton played a short but mesmerising demo of Assassin's Creed: Origins

Riding through the glowing desert on your steed into a living, breathing village, overseeing the towns-people attending their crops and labour work, and hearing in the distance ancient Egyptian music, sums up perfectly the incredible world-building the Assassin’s Creed team have accomplished with the latest instalment, Assassin’s Creed: Origins. And this was just the first two minutes of my gameplay demo experience.

Synchronizing a view point in this game was breathtaking. The vibrant colours of the plants, trees, and the river Nile, contrasts with the gold of the sand and buildings wonderfully. Even at a steady 30fps/1080p, this game looks stunning.

AC: Origins Screenshot 2

You play as Bayek. A Medjay justifying wrongs across the land, venturing far and wide within the Egyptian landscape. What Ubisoft did show within this small gameplay demo is that Assassin’s Creed is not being reinvented. It is sticking to its solid gameplay cycle. Offering camps to take-over, buried treasure in the sea to dive and retrieve, and interesting quests to take up, all in the name of the freedom-seeking Assassin’s. I have no problem with this. This has always been the grounding of Assassin’s Creed, and for the time-being, it should be.

What is being changed here is the control scheme. Triggers now control your main attacks, and there is no run button. The parkour button is A, while going into sneak mode requires pressing the right analog stick. You still have many tools at your disposal, including smoke bombs, bow and arrows, a scimitar, and much more. Hunting plays a larger role within the game, reminiscent of its predecessor Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. There is a substantial skill tree to develop and complete, and the map seems to be large enough that there will be enough content here for some time.

What one should take most note of from my demo experience, is that Origins still fulfills that awesome feeling you get when you execute an  assassination perfectly. Walking around a wooden pole at just the right moment so that my enemy is unaware of my presence, right before laying down a smoke bomb and thrusting my blade far into his spinal cord, is what Assassin’s Creed is all about. That feeling can occur in Origins again, and again, and again.

AC: Origins Screenshot 3

All in all, this is a typical Assassin’s Creed game. But with the anticipation of exploring the fascinating Egyptian mythology, and feelings of nostalgia from Black Flag, I have a theory that this Assassin’s Creed will bring the fun and exciting gameplay back to the forefront of the series. I admit I am more excited than most; being a hardcore Assassin’s Creed fan does that. That being said, if you haven’t played any of the series’ entries for some years, take a look at Origins. You might enjoy what you discover within the ancient Egyptian world.

A 3rd year Philosophy student at the University of Birmingham. Interested in giving honest opinions with others. Thinking and being passionate are my favourite hobbies, other than listening to Metallica. (@Nic_the_thinker)

IGDB