EGX | Hands On: South Park: The Fractured But Whole | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

EGX | Hands On: South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Fan of its predecessor, Jack Cooper plays a hilarious demo for the sequel South Park: The Fractured But Whole

After a long series of delays, South Park will finally be back on consoles and PC when South Park: The Fractured but Whole launches on October 17. The game wonderfully combines satire, superheroes and surprisingly satisfying RPG gameplay to create a hilarious and incredibly fun experience. You play as the New Kid, the same character from South Park: The Stick of Truth, but, instead of playing Game of Thrones, the kids of South Park are now playing superheroes (in a brilliant parody of the recent surge and monetisation of the superhero genre).

The EGX demo has your character playing as sidekick to Scott Malkinson, A.K.A. Captain Diabetes, and tasks you with finding out information on a missing cat. This being a South Park game, the cat isn’t just stuck up a tree. Instead, you must infiltrate a strip club to question one of the strippers, give a lapdance to some incredibly inebriated gentlemen, and concoct one of the most vile and repugnant drinks I have ever seen. Having already watched several playthroughs of this level on YouTube, I knew what to expect from the demo. But what I didn’t expect was the amount of fun I still had playing it. Even though I knew exactly what to do, where to go and what would happen, I really enjoyed my time with the game. It still felt fresh, and the jokes were still funny. A real testament to the game’s quality.

South Park TFBW Screenshot 2

Another way in which the demo surprised me was through the sheer amount of depth that South Park: The Fractured but Whole offers players: the levels (which have been delightfully designed to look as if they were taken straight from an episode) are full to the brim with character, and exploring them rewards players not only with collectables and items, but also brilliant interactions with familiar faces of the show. There is a dedicated craft system that allows players to use the random junk they find from exploring to create useful items (rather than just selling it for money like in The Stick of Truth), further encouraging players to explore. Fights now feel more tactical with the introduction of a grid system that allows players to plan moves without taking away the sheer fun of the game’s combat, and even upgrading your character has added depth; players are able to multi-class different superpowers, allowing you to customise your superhero to suit your playstyle and your team composition.

As a huge fan of the South Park series and of the first game, I had high expectations for South Park: The Fractured but Whole. I am very happy to say that the demo not only met them, but easily surpassed them. In a game that weaponises farts, changes your character’s race to reflect the game’s difficulty, and has a superhero based on Tupperware, South Park: The Fractured but Whole is guaranteed to be a brilliant and hilarious game for (almost) everyone that picks it up.

South Park TFBW Screenshot 3

Gaming editor and 3rd year Drama student. Currently capturing anything that moves in Super Mario Odyssey. (@jack_cooper8)

IGDB