EGX | Hands On: Strange Brigade | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

EGX | Hands On: Strange Brigade

Gaming Editor Nick Burton jumps into the 4-player co-operative action-filled third-person shooter Strange Brigade

Strange Brigade is set-up like you’re playing through a 1940s TV show, with the voiceover to match. Battling beasts and monsters, ‘engaging in thrilling action-bound adventures as you stab, shoot, and blast your way through the devious ghouls and demons attempting to halt you brave adventurers’. Up to four players can band together choosing one of the four playable characters, using many tools, traps and weapons at your disposal in order to overcome the challenges set before you.

Engaging in thrilling action-bound adventures as you stab, shoot, and blast your way through the devious ghouls and demons attempting to halt you brave adventurers

Fortunately, it isn’t just style which makes this game worthy to put on your watch list. The gameplay is addictive and fun as hell. The style of the game offering a welcome layer of humour and differentiation. You can tell almost instantly that this game is being developed by ‘Rebellion Development’s’, from how the game plays and feels. If you’re a fan of Zombie Army Trilogy, this will definitely be your cup of action.

Occasionally introducing puzzle and horror elements into the mix means the missions you embark on rarely get boring or plain. A key mix within this formula, since without these elements, the game would cease to be anything but another Horde-mode-copy. Luckily I love any and all Horde-mode-copies, for the intrinsic value they hold. An excellent co-operative action experience with my friends. I didn’t know anything about this game before I played the 15-minute demo at EGX this year, and I can tell you with certainty, that I will be keeping an eye on this title. Optimistically being released sometime next year on Xbox One, PS4 and Steam. I hope it arrives sooner rather than later. I can’t wait to play some more ‘terrifying missions with my adventuring bandwagon and their tools of chaos’.

A 3rd year Philosophy student at the University of Birmingham. Interested in giving honest opinions with others. Thinking and being passionate are my favourite hobbies, other than listening to Metallica. (@Nic_the_thinker)

StrangeBrigade.com