News: Epic Game's Paragon To Be Shut Down | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

News: Epic Game’s Paragon To Be Shut Down

MOBA fan George Hopkins reports on the news that Epic Game's Paragon is being shut down

Epic Games, the developers of the MOBA Paragon have announced that the game’s servers will shut down on the 26th April 2018. This decision is particularly dramatic because its open-beta was only released in February 2017. In a statement published on its website, the development team apologised to its “incredible community” for not being able to fulfill their ambition of making “Paragon into a MOBA that retains enough players to be sustainable”. This failure has a number of possible explanations, ranging from the difficulties of its free-to-play beginnings to the dominance of competitors like League of Legends and Dota 2. The imminence of its closure can also be attributed to the fact that many of its development team have been moved over to work on Epic Game’s more popular Battle Royale game, Fortnite.

Paragon 1

In the announcement, it was stated that the game will still be playable up to April 26th, however it was also acknowledged that “as the player population continues to decrease, matchmaking times and quality will further degrade.”

To show its gratitude to its loyal player base, Epic Games have offered a full refund to anyone who has bought the game and/or purchased items within it. This is a very generous move, particularly considering that Gazillion, and their publisher Disney, did not offer the same thing when they closed Marvel Heroes in November 2017. To receive this refund a player must use/create an Epic account and apply at this address, where further information and guidance can be found here.

Many are now fearing that the same fate awaits Epic Game’s upcoming Unreal Tournament, however given that its development appears to be nearing completion, any immediate action or information seems unlikely.

(@georgehopkins25)

IGDB