News: Nintendo Direct Recap (9/3/18) | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

News: Nintendo Direct Recap (9/3/18)

Sam Nason recaps Nintendo's latest Direct, showcasing an impressive number of 3rd party games alongside some fan favourite classics

Wait until the last second. This is one of the most important things I’ve learnt in relation to Nintendo Direct presentations.

The most recent one occurred on March 8th and boy was it worth waiting til the end. This presentation was filled with hype, and I'm personally beyond excitement for the majority of the announcements, yet I can also see how it might act as a double-edged sword to those who aren’t confident in the content of the Switch itself.

First, the Direct at a glance: there were some massive titles announced for the system, the majority coming this year. Of course the biggest was Super Smash Bros, announced in the most teasing of teasers at the very end of the broadcast. The trailer saw two Inklings from Splatoon fighting each other (and coming off of Splatoon news previously, I thought that was all this was going to be), only for the Smash logo to reveal itself behind them both. This brought me back to sitting on the sofa in 2013 and watching the first trailer for Super Smash Bros for Wii U. To say I am excited for this game is a massive understatement.

Super Smash Bros will launch at some point in 2018.

Other big titles announced included Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (releasing July 10th), South Park: The Fractured But Whole (releasing April 24th), Okami HD (tentatively releasing this summer), Undertale (coming at an unspecified later date) and a port of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (launching July 13th) with some new Mario Odyssey-inspired levels! All of these had bite-sized ‘headline’ sections on the presentation and it’s worth taking a look yourself for further elaboration on the games.

Of course, you’ve probably noticed something about these games, and that is that all of them are ports. Personally I don’t see this as too big an issue purely because apart from Captain Toad and Okami, they’re titles that haven’t been on Nintendo systems previously - therefore, to a majority of people, they may be considered ‘new titles’ for the Switch. It does however provide credence to the argument that the Switch is living off the ports of games that are already years old - however Smash, and the myriad of titles I’m sure Nintendo will show off at E3, may prove people wrong.

The Direct also provided updates on numerous titles Switch-bound, most prominently Mario Tennis Aces. The presentation showed off the new shots and tech that can be employed in the game, as well as detailing its online and robust story mode experiences. In multiplayer the game (as expected) can be played with an individual JoyCon (meaning two players can play right off the bat) for up to four player matches. A free demo of the titles is also coming soon, with players being able to jump online and try out exhibition matches in a pre-launch online tournament!

Mario Tennis Aces launches on June 22nd.

Also focused on was Octopath Traveller, with producer Masashi Takahashi revealing two more main characters (Tressa the Merchant and Alfyn the Apothecary), the ability to equip multiple jobs to each character for use in battle situations, and some awesome collectible items in the special edition of the game, including a stylised book, a map and a CD of music from the game.

Octopath Traveller will release on July 13th.

A Splatoon 2 update was also detailed, dubbed version 3.0. This update will see 100+ pieces of new gear, as well as more stages being added to rotation throughout the spring, including Camp Triggerfish from the original game! A new rank, Rank X, has also been added, which is a tier above S+. On top of this a new single-player expansion was also announced, Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - this pack lets you play as Agent 8, an Octoling who has lost their memories. Completing the expansion lets you play as the Octolings in online multiplayer, and the pack itself has new stories that ‘shed new light on beloved characters’. It should be noted this is paid DLC, as opposed to the other Splatoon DLC which has been free.

Splatoon 2 v.3.0 will be upon us in April, whereas the Octo Expansion pack won’t be out until the summer.

Also covered were updates on Kirby: Star Allies, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (launching May 18th) and ARMS. Some new 3DS titles were also covered, including a new Warioware game, a port of Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story and a remake of Luigi’s Mansion.

Suffice to say, no matter what system you own, there’s some very exciting things in the works for Nintendo fans! Give the Direct a watch if you haven’t already and perhaps you will come out just as excited as me!

First Year English and Drama student, conquering one game at a time in between! (@samjnason)

Nintendo and