News: Telltale Games Restructures its Narrative | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

News: Telltale Games Restructures its Narrative

Gaming writer James Honke discusses layoffs and changes to Telltale Games' staffing

Telltale Games, the developer behind narrative-driven games such as The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us has announced a restructuring that involved the studio laying off 90 employees to focus on fewer games going forward. In a statement sent to Rolling Stone’s ‘Glixel’, Telltale CEO Pete Hawley claimed that the decision was designed to make the company “more competitive as a developer and publisher of groundbreaking story-driven gaming experiences with an emphasis on high quality” with Rolling Stone reporting that this won’t affect any of their previously announced games going forward.

Nothing quite breaks the immersion like a floating face.Nothing quite breaks the immersion like a floating face.

This move seems to be the result of Telltale saturating the niche market they created. Whilst the number of Telltale games coming out has jumped from 1 per year in 2012 to 3 or 4 per year in 2016/2017, fans have noted a drop in both story and gameplay quality (despite an engine upgrade), with less meaningful decisions and more quicktime events. Telltale’s more recent games have also included an unforgivable number of bugs given the limited size and scope of the games and the fact that the games are built upon immersing the player within the narrative experience.

In truth, this decision has probably come not a moment too soon as a pared down and more focused Telltale team means that the studio can get back to what they do best - delivering quality immersive stories. I, for one, look forward to it.

IGDB and Gamezone