Recap: Nintendo Direct Mini (11/01/18) | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Recap: Nintendo Direct Mini (11/01/18)

Sam Nason boards the Nintendo hype-train as he recaps Nintendo's first Direct Mini of 2018

Nintendo released a Nintendo Direct Mini today, detailing upcoming games, updates and release dates for a number of different titles.

Arguably the biggest announcement was the reveal of the new Dark Souls: Remastered port. The port of the universally acclaimed title is nothing but a good thing for the Switch as big-name developers continue to show support for the console. The remastered version includes the main game as well as the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, providing a huge amount of content, especially given the fact this is the first Dark Souls game ever to be released on a Nintendo platform.

Dark Souls: Remastered launches for the Nintendo Switch as well as the PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on the 25th May.

Also noticeable in this Direct was the surprise announcement of Mario Tennis Aces, a new game in the franchise that looks to put a slightly more classic vibe on the sport if Mario’s new garbs are anything to judge by (Waluigi without a cap on is among the funniest things I’ve ever seen). The main selling point of the title appears to be the inclusion of a story mode for the first time since Mario Tennis: Power Tour on the GBA, featuring a variety of special objectives, missions, boss battles and more.

Mario Tennis Aces is currently slated for a Spring 2018 release date.

A multitude of ports were also announced for the Switch; Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition boasts every map and mission, as well as every single character available previously in the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game, along with all previous paid downloadable content. The Switch edition will also include exclusive Breath of the Wild costumes for Link and Zelda when it launches Spring 2018.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze includes a new beginner-friendly mode where one can play as the greatest-Kong-ever-created Funky Kong, as he double jumps, hovers and infinitely rolls, providing support for those new to the title set to release on the 4th May.

Finally, The World Ends with You: Final Remix features striking new visuals and a new controller style with the Joy-Cons, as well as a new epilogue that looks to expand upon the game’s lore; this title has the tentative release date simply of 2018.

Updates for a few existing games were also detailed; Pokken Tournament Deluxe will receive two new paid DLC Battle Packs, the first featuring Aegislash as the Fighter Pokemon and Mega Rayquaza and Mimikyu as Support, and the second Blastoise with Mew and Celebi as Support. Wave 1 will be released January 31st, and Wave 2 March 23rd, available to purchase separately or as a bundle.

Super Mario Odyssey will also receive a free update, introducing Luigi’s Balloon World, a new competitive minigame consisting of ‘Hide It’ mode (where players have 30 seconds to hide their given balloon around the kingdom) and ‘Find It’ mode (where players have 30 seconds to find balloons hidden by other people all over the world). New outfits and filters for Snapshot mode will also be available for the title when the update launches this February.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle will also be receiving paid story DLC featuring Donkey Kong. While a short trailer was included in the presentation, no footage or further information was given on the nature of the DLC itself. Still, all will be revealed soon enough when the packs become available on Nintendo eShop in Spring 2018.

Of course, this isn’t all the information included in the Direct Mini - smaller titles like Fe and Celeste were also featured, as well as new gameplay and release dates for PAYDAY 2 (27th February) and Kirby Star Allies (16th March). The presentation is certainly worth watching and is an exciting glimpse of things to come for Nintendo fans. Give it a watch, and join in on the hype!

First Year English and Drama student, conquering one game at a time in between! (@samjnason)

Nintendo and