PC Gamer Weekender Returns to the Olympia, London | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

PC Gamer Weekender Returns to the Olympia, London

Gaming Editor, Roshni Patel, previews this year’s PC Gamer Weekend and the exciting games on offer at this year’s exhibition

As the Steam store grows with the deluge of games buying their place on the the online retailer, one publication aims to sift through the good, the bad and the ugly, and serve up the results online, in print and annually at the Olympia, London. Like EGX, PC Gamer Weekender, aims to be a great weekend of PC games from the triple A titles to a myriad of indies in various stages of development.

Along with the usual showfloor of developers, there’ll be a student common room, where student developed games can be given a stage to shine allowing us to play great games made by students, while finding out how to perhaps get into their shoes through the various careers talks. However, there aren’t just newly developed games on show floor, with retro games and nostalgic arcade games new for this year, also featured on the show floor. Also new for this year is the Omen by HP eSports bootcamp, which complements the usual daily tournaments allowing anyone to find out how the pros train, prepare and play in the professional leagues.

PC Gamer

As well as games, hardware tips and a range of tabletop games, there are also lots of talks from developers and members of the games industry. On the main PC Gamer stage there’ll be talks from Firaxis’ lead producer Andrew Frederiksen and lead designer Anton Strenger about Civ VI, a Q&A with the Fatshark tea, who are the developers of Warhammer: Vermintide 2. On the developer stage there’s only 5 talks currently scheduled, with one of them with the Stefan Ljungqvist, head of Experiment 101 developers of Biomutant, which will be playable over the weekend for the first time in the UK. Another talk to keep your eye on is Automaton Games talk on Saturday, as they discuss designing impossible worlds and ‘fixing’ the current battle royale genre. And on the Careers stage you’ll hear from industry experts such as Total War community manager Grace Carroll, Table Flip Games’ co-founder and lead artist Matt Syrett and many more indie developers, artists and members of the press.

PC Gamer

Packed with games, talks and plenty of merch, the PC Gamer Weekender looks to be a brilliant weekend away playing games old and new, while socialising with other gamers, and perhaps even catching a pint with the editors of PC Gamer in the pub after the show. Featuring some great talks, as well as the chance to play Biomutant, Extinction and Phoenix Point for the first time in the UK, there is no shortage of things to do over the weekend, and I doubt I’ll to struggle to fill every moment with something fun.

Fancy heading down? Buy your tickets here and get 20% off your ticket with the student discount code: REDBRICK20

Redbrick Gaming Editor, who also occasionally dabbles in the dark arts of other sections. (@roshofalltrades)

PC Gamer and IGDB