Preview | Awesome Games Done Quick 2018 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Preview | Awesome Games Done Quick 2018

Speedrunning fan James Law previews this Winter's Games Done Quick event, which will be streaming for charity from the 7th to 14th January

Games Done Quick (GDQ) is a biannual video game speedrunning charity event held in USA. It began in 2010, and is a celebration of the speedrunning scene that has been growing in popularity enormously within the last couple of decades. There are two separate events – Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ), held around July/August, and Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ), held in January, and streamed on Twitch.

If you’re unfamiliar with the GDQ events, they last for a few days, with a dedicated schedule and time limits to keep to so as to ensure the speedruns remain speedy. Throughout the event, viewers are encouraged to donate to the nominated charity (for AGDQ 2018 it is the Prevent Cancer Foundation), with incentives available such as naming characters in a run and choosing specific routes through games for runners to take – a classic example being whether or not they rescue the animals at the end of the Super Metroid run.

Games done quick

Games Done Quick has grown massively in the last few years, with last January’s event raising over $2 million. The upcoming event will be streamed live between the 7th and 14th of January 2018, and the schedule is available to view now, so you can plan your viewing of specific runs. Something I specifically enjoy is the huge variety of games that are run. There are huge blockbuster titles like Skyrim being destroyed in less than 45 minutes, famously outrageously hard games such as Battletoads being sliced through with ease, hours-long odysseys such as Earthbound, and even competitive races with a number of runners simultaneously trying to beat each other’s time. AGDQ will absolutely have something for everyone, and it’s always fun seeing your favourite games get steamrolled like it’s nothing. In the meantime, check out their massive archive of runs, there’s almost definitely something you’re interested in there, and it’ll get the hype going for the upcoming event. Fair warning: it’s easy to get sucked into addiction and watch these things for days on end.

I'm a business student with two dogs and not enough time (@jamesmaclaw)

1st January 2018 at 9:00 am

Games Done Quick